Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach Dilution Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach Dilution Question

So I really did try searching, but too many posts to dig through, so hopefully this is a easy YES

I am going to be using Chlorine (bleach) via Stenner Pump for my pool.

Since lower concentrations have longer life in sun, can I just buy 12.5% (can get a good deal locally) and dilute it 50% to get approximately 6% solution. I will then load my 15 GAL tank with 6% and dose accordingly.

I am fairly certain the answer is yes, just looking to verify.

Also, IF I AM OCD and most likely I will go through 15 GAL of 12.5% long before is starts to weaken, yell at me as well.

Thanks again in advance.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach Dilution Question

Why not provide shade?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

Dilution is not generally a good idea. The water in bleach is specially filtered to remove low level contaminates that can shorten it's self life. Tap water does not have equivalent filtering and could significantly shorten the shelf life (or not depending).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    So I really did try searching, but too many posts to dig through, so hopefully this is a easy YES

I am going to be using Chlorine (bleach) via Stenner Pump for my pool.

Since lower concentrations have longer life in sun, can I just buy 12.5% (can get a good deal locally) and dilute it 50% to get approximately 6% solution. I will then load my 15 GAL tank with 6% and dose accordingly.

I am fairly certain the answer is yes, just looking to verify.

Also, IF I AM OCD and most likely I will go through 15 GAL of 12.5% long before is starts to weaken, yell at me as well.

Thanks again in advance.
    Here's an idea: buy an ice chest to use as your chlorine tank. Then it's insulated.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow, so glad I asked this question...

I am using the Stenner tank, which is UV Resistant...I will also do my best to build in some shade.

Thanks gang for the quick responses.

So - final question then....if I can get 6% and 12.5% at the same relevant cost (meaning once adjusted for strength etc) it seems like it would make sense for me to use 6% in the Injection system.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

6. Back To Top    #6

That depends on how much you mind carrying jugs
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, say I LOVE to carry jugs of bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    Ok, say I LOVE to carry jugs of bleach
    LOL!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

6% is likely to be gentler on the pump parts, tubing, fittings, etc. even if they are made of material that is acceptable to handle chlorine.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~