Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thought I had defeated mustard algae...

1. Back To Top    #1

Thought I had defeated mustard algae...

I thought I had cleared up my mustard algae last week with "yellow treat" from united chemical company and liquid chorine, but I only used 3 gallons of liquid chlorine and then it rained another 5 inches and ended up pumping water out of my pool. Currently my pool is sparkling clear, pool looks great, but cannot maintain any chlorine.

Pool tests as of today:
    FC-0.0
    TC-0.1
    CC-0.1
    PH-7.7
    HD-280
    TA-121
    CYA-130

No obvious signs of mustard algae that I can see, but something is gobbling up my chlorine. CYA is high because I placed several 3in chlorine tablets in skimmers to try and get chlorine in pool!
    My plan is to lower the CYA and then hit the water with "yellow treat" and really superchlorinate according to your chart. Anything else that I am overlooking? This is my 7th summer with this pool and about 35th around a pool (my parents) and I have never had this kind of trouble before.

I'm "bumfuzzled"!

dobber
    16x32 21K vinyl IG, 1HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Ecomatic ESC 36 SWG, TF 100 test kit & I love my Speed Stir, dobberpoolboy manual vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thought I had defeated mustard algae...

Welcome to TFP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dobber
    My plan is to lower the CYA and then hit the water with "yellow treat" and really superchlorinate according to your chart. Anything else that I am overlooking?
    Lowering the CYA is the correct first step.
    Forget the Yellow Treat
    Follow the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS and then read this: pool-school/mustard_algae

Do you have one of the Recommended Test Kits so you can follow the shock process correctly?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I ordered the TF-100 earlier today.
    16x32 21K vinyl IG, 1HP Hayward Superpump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Ecomatic ESC 36 SWG, TF 100 test kit & I love my Speed Stir, dobberpoolboy manual vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine and Algae...HELP

Merged your threads. Let's keep all info concerning clearing the pool in this thread. Also, please do not hijack another poster's thread Thanks, Butterfly

Mr. Mustard Algae reporting back in......

My TF 100 pool test kit arrived and I started the shock process 2 days ago. Followed the directions in the Shock Process link. The water cleared up in 24 hours and with a CYA reading of 90, I kept the FC around 35-45 per the shock process initial instructions. The CYA has dropped to 60-70 and I have since increased the FC to 45-55 per the chart for mustard algae. The CC reading went from 1.5 to a steady .5-1 every test. Did my first OCLT last night and FC dropped 4ppm. Filter is running 24/7 and brushing the pool daily. Have gone through 20 gallons of liquid chlorine and my question is this:

Just keep doing what I'm doing?

thank you,

Dobber

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: Chlorine and Algae...HELP

yes
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Chlorine and Algae...HELP

What did you do to make the CYA drop by 20%? Have you pumped out that much water?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I lowered and refilled 3 or 4 times over the course of a week.

2 follow up questions for the experts:

When in this shock process, I am assuming that there should be no swimming allowed?

The pool store sells liquid chlorine 12% for under $4 gallon. The store uptown sells bleach 5.25% for $2.50. Is one way better than the other?

thanks again,

dobber

8. Back To Top    #8

No swimming while the FC > shock level (which it should be in the shock process).

Check out this little app/calculator: bleach-price-calculator-t62918.html
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

$4.00/12 = $.333 per %/gallon.
    2.50/5.25 =$.476 per 5/gallon.

The stronger stuff is a better deal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by dobber
    The pool store sells liquid chlorine 12% for under $4 gallon. The store uptown sells bleach 5.25% for $2.50. Is one way better than the other?
    At that price, the pool store chlorine is better.

1 gallon of 12% is, roughly, the equivalent of 2 gallons of 5.25%.

Of course, $4 is better than $5. Over time, those $1's will add up!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Not sure, why, but Richards # are off ... or I guess he is using different units:

$4 for gallon of 12% = $0.26 per ppm FC
    $2.50 for gallon (is it really a gallon???) of 5.25% = $0.37 per ppm FC

There are usually better deals out there than either of these ... look for a pool store that has refillable jugs for the 12% those seem to be the best deal.

Or at Lowes / Home Depot / Walmart you can find 2 gallons of 10% for < $7 ... although the 12% price you posted is better than that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

In regards to the CYA dropping, wouldn't 90 degrees with all day sun lower CYA a bit? Perhaps I am a little optimistic with my CYA drop test skills. I drop the sample in the tube until the black dot is completely gone. If I can faintly see it, I'm still "squeezin' drops". I know the instructions said it was a bit "subjective".

I shall keep "carpet bombing" the algae with chlorine.

dobber

13. Back To Top    #13

The sun does not lower the CYA value ... it has to be physically removed from the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Don't forget light niches, ladders, and pool toys. They need disinfected too!
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

15. Back To Top    #15

On Thursday I had to be away from the pool all day. Plus I ran out of liquid chlorine. I work 3rd shift and before leaving for work, my test showed FC had dropped to 10.

Does this mean that I must start the shock process all over again? Or can I pick up on Friday morning where I left off?
    While in the shock process, the goal is to never let the FC drop below what the chart says, is that correct?

This mustard algae is taking it's toll mentally and financially...

dobber

16. Back To Top    #16

Your not really starting it all over, but you were inefficient when the FC dropped that low. The idea is to keep the FC at (or maybe slightly above if you have to be away from the pool) your shocking level the overwhelming majority of the time. I would just get your FC back up to 23 ppm, unless you are ready to bite the bullet and lower cya a little more (get it down to 70 ppm would be my recommendation since you have a swg).

As for Mustard algae shock level, do that after you pass the OCLT at normal FC levels. Re-read this pool school article: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../mustard_algae
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

17. Back To Top    #17

What would you do differently between picking up where you left off and starting over?

You do the best you can and maintain the FC at shock level as consistently as you can. The more so, the shorter the process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Thank you both for the advice. When I get home this mornng, I will test the FC level. I think I will lower/raise the pool water to keep working that CYA level down, then buy a tanker load (just kidding) of liquid chlorine and attack!

dobber

19. Back To Top    #19

Working on round 2 and looking for some feedback please...

Started the shock process again on Saturday 6/15 at 3:30pm.
    FC 0, CYA 70, PH 70, TA 170.

Purchased 40 gallons of liquid chlorine (12.5%) and proceeded to shock FC level to 44. I have monitored the pool every 2 hours and maintained a FC level between 37-50. It is now Sunday 6/16 and my FC is maintaining about 50 with me adding .5 gallon of chlorine between the 2 hour monitoring window. My CC stays at 1, sometimes close to .5, but usually takes 2 drops to make it really clear, so I call it 1. I vacuumed, backwashed, and brushed yesterday and will do the same today.

I see starting today a black or brown sludge building up on the inside back of my skimmer just above the water line. I assume this is my culprit that I am slowly killing?

Oh wise ones, is there anything I'm not doing, or doing wrong? Am I to just "keep on keeping on"? I have learned so much from this site, thank you for your help.

dobber

PS With the weather getting hotter, the "patrons of my backyard resort" are getting a little impatient with their poolboy and his new chemistry set! They just want to get wet!

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

I guess the first thing to clear up is why is your FC so high? That is outside the guidelines we suggest.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast