New Pool in Tampa Bay!!! Updated Pics 9/20

vanibrown

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2011
Tampa, FL
I can't quite believe I am actually typing this! We have our home equity appraisal Monday - and I have been going back and forth with builders for a couple weeks. Fingers crossed - we will have dig equipment out by the end of the month!!

I have been on here for 2 years, soaking up the information and am so thankful for the knowledge and experience on this forum (the builders think I am so smart..if not annoying! Ha!)

First of MANY questions - We are planning a 15x30 3ft - 8ft freeform IG with spa SWG - - -

1.Builder A is bidding with Sta-rite 1 HP 2-speed (with cartridge filter) (I said I want a variable speed, he says anything over 1 speed IS variable?????) Builder B is bidding with Jandy JEP 1.5 variable speed (with DE filter). We are planning solar heat hopefully and I am wondering if the Sta-rite would work efficiently for solar?

2. Builder A heater is 200K gas heater Builder B 400BTU gas heater - whats the difference here?

3. Builder A says they use 2" minimum for plumbing. Builder B uses 2.5"

4. Both builders are doing the footers, as we are subbing out the screen and brick pavers.

I have one more appt tomorrow with a company that could possibly do everything including screen and pavers...fingers crossed as its less headache for me.

Sooooo.... any thoughts so far?
Edited to change pics added date

Re: New Pool in Tampa Bay!!!

1. The Sta-rite would likely be fine. I would certainly look at at least a 2-speed ... sounds like the Builder A is a little off ... a 2-speed is NOT a VS pump it is a 2-speed regardless of the size

2. B heater will heat the water twice as fast

3. Bigger is better, although multiple 2" runs from the pool should be fine. Will the spa have a separate pump and plumbing for the jets? That can be good with large pipe

Duh..guess 400 btu would mean twice the size of 200! Ok, well that sounds much better! I don't think there is a separate pump for spa on either of the estimates - would either included pump work?

A 1HP sounds pretty weak for a spa ... but depends on the number of jets, plumbing sizes and distances, will it also have a blower, etc.

Builder A is 4 jets Builder B is 5 jets - my husband wanted to mack daddy it out - but we will be moving eventually and decided to add the money to the deck size instead. Both are oval shape 6x7

So we decided and signed contract yesterday! We had to have signed contracts with builder, paver and screen company for the bank to close the loan. Hopefully things will start happening by the end of the month. Will update signature with specs. Yay!

We have jumped through a million hoops with our credit union - they are setting it up as a construction loan, needing everyone to agree on deposit amounts, draws etc. Since we are subbing out the pavers and screen ourselves, they were baffled on how to set up the cash draws to 3 different companies. We have to pay for the inspector/appraiser to come out at each pre-determined section to make sure it is all done and THEN they will give us a check to pay for it. Crazy. I feel like, if they are requiring it, they should pay for it!

The crappy part is, Pool permitting is taking 4 weeks!!! We couldn't even submit it when we signed the contract, because our loan won't close with the "Notice of commencement" on our house.
Sigh - I have wanted a pool for as long as I can remember - this is killing me, epecially because it's all within reach. We started the actually loan process in mid May and won't have the pool done until mid September.
I guess the only upside in this taking longer, is that we have time to save some cash for solar.
We close the equity loan on Wednesday, and have to wait 3 days for any money to be dispersed. Luckily, we have a long swim season. Just wanted some of the summer vacation left for kids to swim.

Signed Loan papers today!!!! Yipee! :party: Pool builder was kind to sumbit permit without $1000 deposit. We will get access to that money on Monday.

Now it's the waiting game for the permit. New construction homes in the Tampa Bay area have exploded, so they are clogging up the permit process!

Site meeting 2 weeks from today!

Congratulations on signing the papers! What a feeling!!!!!

I know that feeling well, we closed with our credit union about 30 days ago and are one week into construction (see post in this forum about construction started in Southlake, TX if you are curious to see our build story and pictures for progress). We have waited a long time for our pool just like you. Congrats.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Credit Union finally released first phase of funds (deposits) Mailed to paver and screen company, and hand delivered to pool builder.

Here is the pool drawing (edited, as it didn't show up!)

9186184043_f555d49966_z.jpg

So our permit finally came in (3 weeks) - BUT our PB didn't put us on the dig schedule till next week...my impatience is going to kill me! :)

I sure hope by next week, he means Monday - :|

I feel your pain, we started about a month ago and now I'm just waiting because of all the rain. The worst is looking at the pavers sitting on my property for over a week with no action. I hoped to have it completed before the kids go back to school but it's looking like that will not happen.

SO..it has sort of begun - they did the outline this morning and told me that the project manager would come by in the morning to confirm, then the boards would be delivered and that sometime between now and Saturday they would dig... I am trying to remember looking thru other builds if the boards were put up during excavation or not.

DSC_1850 by vanibrown, on Flickr

DSC_1849 by vanibrown, on Flickr

DSC_1848 by vanibrown, on Flickr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.