Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Greetings from NH

1. Back To Top    #1

Greetings from NH

Hello there

We have a 16x32 inground vinyl liner. 20,000 gallon. It's got a Foxxx sand filter 3 cu ft. Filter rate 47 to 63 GPM. The pump is a Hayward superpump. 1 hp.

My water test revealed today:
    Alkalinity 130
    Calcium 310
    Ph 7.5
    Chlorine 2.5
    We opened 2 1/2 weeks ago. Deep end is murky. Low end is clear but milky. This is our third season with a pool. The house was a foreclosure and had no information of history of the pool.
    The other 2 seasons the pool was crystal clear in a week.
    We don't know what else to try. Shocked,I have vacuumed many times. We did a clarifier. My husband just purchased a sand filter enhancer. What are we missing here?
    Thank you TFP
    TYFFANY IN FRUSTRATED POOL OWNER IN NH
    Tyffany
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, 1 HP Hayward superpump, Foxxx sand filter model F3-24-63 ~Southern NH

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Greetings from NH

Welcome to TFP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tyffany&james
    What are we missing here?
    Well likely you are missing how to properly perform the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS that we teach.

Also, you did not post your stabilizer level (CYA) which is critical to determining the amount of FC you should be maintaining in the shock process.

Are you using one of the Recommended Test Kits?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason,
    They did not test for CYA but I will have it checked tomorrow. Just clicked on the shock process link. You are right we did not shock properly. Where do we start now that we began wrong?
    Tyffany
    20k gal, IG Vinyl, 1 HP Hayward superpump, Foxxx sand filter model F3-24-63 ~Southern NH

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi. I'm in NH too, seacoast area.

Our pool season is too short to waste it with cloudy water. I found this site during our pool build and I have followed the advice since then, 2008. It really works. I recently had our water tested at POol Builders store and lady said that she had never seen such perfect water this early in the season.

The pool maintenance methods may seem confusing at first, but if you stick with it it becomes very easy. And CHEAP. Do what these guys tell you to do and you will understand your pool and be happy. The fix may not be fast, but it will work and then you will have few problems in the future. And when you do have a problem you will know how to fix it quickly.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Depends what your full test results are ... which you can not reliably and repeatably get from a pool store.

Order a test kit ... Dave (owner of the forum and tftestkits.net) would get it to you in a few days.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Deb,
    We are trying, we live in Rochester, NH. and I guess we had beginners luck because our first 2 seasons were perfect. I'm getting frustrated dealing with the pool 2 weeks in to the season!
    Tyffany

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by tyffany&james
    Thanks Jason,
    They did not test for CYA but I will have it checked tomorrow. Just clicked on the shock process link. You are right we did not shock properly. Where do we start now that we began wrong?
    You start with trustworthy test results. Bluntly: your own test kit. Free testing at the pool store is worth every penny you pay for it.

With accurate readings and the ability to test often for corrections, you could be enjoying your sparkling pool by the weekend. Sadly, very few pool stores sell the K-2006 test kit. They will gladly sell you a K-2005 test kit and assure you it is the same, but it isn't. If they have one in stock (the secret ingredient is the FAS-DPD test, a dry powder, not a liquid), snap it up and get going.

Otherwise: http://tftestkits.net. Get a TF100 with the XL option since you will be performing the shock process. I also heartily endorse the speedstir.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. I am ordering a test kit right now. So adding that sand agent is a waste of time and money then huh?
    Tyffany

9. Back To Top    #9

Probably. You can use a little DE for likely a lot cheaper: pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok. Here are the latest results. The water is crystal clear on shallow. And just milky on the deep. You can see when vacuuming, and clearly see drain cover. It is much better but not crystal and sparkling.
    CYA 80
    Alk 120
    Ph 7.4
    Chlor 6
    Tyffany

11. Back To Top    #11

Once you have the FAS-DPD test you will be able to determine is there is still anything in the water consuming the FC.

Your FC is at the minimum for your CYA (pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock) ... do not let it get any lower. You should be maintaining it at shock level which is 31 ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

What he said ^^

And if you can, aim a return at the deep end to stir up that cloudiness so the filter can grab it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!