Currently filling up pool. Whats my next step

Jun 4, 2013
Hello all this is my first post.
Recently we opened our pool and it was black. Without the knowledge from this site my dad and i decided to drain and refill the pool. 2days later the pool is almost full of tap water. we had cleaned the walls and scopped out lots of leaves pollen earthworms and so on.
From the pool school i brought a TAYLOR K2006( arrived today)
so as of now i am waiting for my pool to be full (half way skimmer)
then putting together filter and pump (add DE)
let filter um 10 hours
in the morning i will test the water
so my question is am i missing any steps there
and after my water testing what do i adjust first?
do i stablize first (cya) or ALK or PH or FC ?
Im pretty new at this any advice is greatly appreciated

Hi, welcome to TFP!
Since this is fresh fill water, check and adjust the pH first, then use the pool calculator to determine how much CYA and Chlorine you need to add. Other levels can be adjusted as needed after that. Since you don't have anything in the water yet you do not need to let it circulate before testing. Once you have added chemicals you only have to run the pump 30 min-1 hour before testing.

i just test the water
ph 7
alk 30
FC 0
and for CYA i was still able to see the black dot when the capsale was full so im assuming below 30
my filter also was leaking so i cant put DE til the morning
thanks for the help

You CYA is 0 in a fresh fill.
Get 2ppm of FC in water first.
Raise the TA up to around 70-80ppm (assuming you are using bleach for chlorine).
Get the CYA dissolving.
Then maintain the FC in the recommended levels for your CYA target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.