Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump automatic safety shutdown?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump automatic safety shutdown?

This might go better in Everything Else, but it is directly pump related so I thought I would ask here. After my second strange plumbing accident this month where I could have lost water out of my pool and cause the pump to run dry, I have started wondering if I should consider some type of low flow / pressure / level safety shutdown system for my pump, and if any such thing exists on the market. So do you have or know of such a thing?

Ike

p.s. In case your wondering about the incidents, the first was during a storm in the middle of the night where a limb fell and hit the lever on the drain valve for my pool solar panels opening it causing water to gush onto the ground (lever is now wired into the closed position). The second was last night where the nylon fitting that my Chlorine injection pump uses to put chlorine into the pool plumbing spontaneously sheered off at the threads, I don't know if it was over torqued, fatigue from the injection pulses, or just a manufacturing fault, but I had a fountain in my pump room this morning. I am guessing it happened just before I caught it, perhaps when the solar controller turned the pump to high for the solar heater, either way I caught it soon enough that there was no detectable water drop in the pool..
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump automatic safety shutdown?

There are flow switches, flow meters and current relays, etc that you could use to try and determine if the pump went out of norm operation, but I'm not sure they're worth it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Normally I would agree with you about not being worth it, just with my recent bad luck I am a bit paranoid.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

Some variable speed pumps have prime protection built-in. Some automation systems, when used with a corresponding SWG, provide prime protection. And an occasional SWG also offers prime protection.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School