Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Intex Filter for Standard AGP Issue

1. Back To Top    #1

New Intex Filter for Standard AGP Issue

This is my first time on the site, just want to say, very informative site. Good work.

Anyways, I bought an Intex 19" sand filter for my 15 x 30 agp. The new inlet valve is larger than my original inlet (I can fit the threaded side of the old one into the new one), But it is just barely too big for the hole in the pool siding maybe 1/4 - 1/2" tops. Is it possible to cut the aluminum siding with a hole saw, or would it be better to get an adapter?
    Hope this made sense to someone, not super pool savvy. :P

Thanks. Will get some specifics, or pictures up soon.
    15k gal, IG pebble, 1 HP pump, Cartridge, AquaLogic TCell15 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: New Intex Filter for Standard AGP Issue

Welcome to TFP!!!

I can not picture what you are describing (maybe due to terminology). Can you post up some pictures showing your concerns?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP!

An adapter would probably be better but if you can't find one, aluminum is easy enough to work with. Let's see what some of our other Intex users have to say.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4
    Peoria, IL

So if I'm understanding your question correctly, you're wanting to either put the Intex threaded strainer connector into a standard inlet hole, or you're trying to adapt the Intex hose and plunger valve to a standard eyeball return? If I got that right, then I would suggest an adapter rather than cutting your pool wall to make the strainer connector fit. Try this one from In The Swim: ... cessories/. Select the A2656 part. Screw the smaller end into the return (make sure you wrap it with Teflon tape) and then screw the plunger valve onto the larger end. Now connect your Intex hose and pump. Pics below. Did that answer your question or was I way off?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Third picture shows the original outlet. Second picture is the new Intex outlet split, showing the larger thread. First picture shows a difference in size between the new and original inlet. Also, the hoses are bigger, with those threading nuts on each end. My skimmer basket and that original outlet don't have threading. I figured going to Home Depot and fabricating something for it, but that's when I run into issues down the line. I wouldn't mind using the original outlet, would just need to find adapters to fit. I would prefer to do that over cutting a bigger hole into the outside wall. Hope this helps explain the issue more. Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll try to take more photos of different scenarios after work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15k gal, IG pebble, 1 HP pump, Cartridge, AquaLogic TCell15 SWG