Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair VS pump into older Jandy system?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair VS pump into older Jandy system?

I'm new here so please forgive me if I'm repeating a previous topic, or point me in the right direction to read all the older posts.

Due to rebates, neglected pipes and pumps I'm currently looking into a pentair, variable speed pump to replace the pool and possibly the spa pump, plumbed with electric selection valves to control the inlet and outlet sources respectively for the pool and spa. I was in environmental construction for awhile and have probably glued more pipes and valves and installed more hardware thn most pool builders, but then my electrician would come in and do all the controls for pumps, motors, fans, remote call outs, etc..... So now I'm wondering electrically speaking if anyone has tied these new pumps into an older Jandy aqua link 10 system? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Patton B.

30K in ground pool, 1500 gallon in ground spa. Jandy aqua link 10 controller (1994 construction). Getting ready to replumb all surface pipe as well as replace heater and motors.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Pentair VS pump into older Jandy system?

There are various ways to do that, but they tend to involve minor compromises. On an IntelliFlo pump you can get an IntelliComm II, which allows you to get one speed for each available relay in the Jandy system, up to a total of four speeds. An EcoStar pump can do something similar without an add-on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Patton, I recently added a Pentair VF. My system was controlled by Jandy RS 6. I opted to upgrade to the Jandy Iaqualink very easy to install and can be controlled with IPad or Android device very cool. The pump install was easy but added two inch shim under the pump so it would align with pluming. The whole upgrade and pump install took about two and a half hours.
    Ron A.
    23500 GAL W/ elevated spa
    Pebble Tech
    Pentair VF
    Jandy ILink

4. Back To Top    #4
    Orange County, California

Patton, I too have recently upgraded my Jandy RS8 to an iAqualink. I have a Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump and the iAqualink recognized the pump over it's standard interface and controls it fine. The iAqualink is rather pricey ($350 - $500 depending on the age of your RS6), but gave me some automation options I did not have before. Prior to the iAqualink upgrade, I used Pentair IntelliComm II board to control the pump from the RS8. It too worked well, but was not as elegant. And it was a lot cheaper, at around $150 new. I sold mine on eBay, you may find better deals there.
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter