Home Depot selling liquid chlorine

May 24, 2012
Dallas, TX
I noticed at Home Depot they are selling 1-gallon "Chlorinating Solution," which I looked at the label and it's 10% hypochlorite, for $4.72. Has anyone used this?
I buy my bleach at Dollar General, which is $3 for a gallon of 8.25%. Dollar General is the best deal I've found (2.75% per $1 spent), but I get a lot of Home Depot gift cards and might try their bleach.

I've been buying the concentrated Clorox (8.75%) from Sam's Club for $8.50/3. They're only 121 oz, as opposed to a full gallon, but the turnover is so great that the strength is probably greater than 8.75. It works well for me and us the cheapest solution I've found.

I think that the HD by my house has the same jugs of 10% on the shelf that they did when I became a member here 5+ years ago. I go ahead and stick with the 8.25% from the store shelves since it is almost surely fresher. Is fresher a word? More fresh. :D

Just watch the age on it, I saw several pallets of the stuff at a local HD stored outdoors in the garden center in the early spring a couple of years ago, it was obvious by the condition of the packaging that it had been out there A LONG TIME. Liquid Chlorine looses strength over time so while that stuff may have started out at 10% plus who knows how weak it was.

findog42000 said:
I noticed at Home Depot they are selling 1-gallon "Chlorinating Solution," which I looked at the label and it's 10% hypochlorite, for $4.72. Has anyone used this?
Bought a box of four 1-gallon jugs of this last year and gave it a test run. Being that there was no date on the package, I selected the "newest looking" box I could find. Being a bit skeptical of its strength, I tested about an hour after dosing in the early evening. Test results (using TF-100 FAS-DPD) confirmed that strength was more like 6% and began dosing accordingly. Once I went through all of the jugs, I went back to purchasing the 8.25% Clorox at grocery stores/warehouse clubs and have used that ever since with great results.

If the pool stores around here sold this product (or one with a 12.5% sodium hypochlorite concentration), it might be worth a try since they would likely turn the product over at a higher rate than HD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.