Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Home Depot selling liquid chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

Home Depot selling liquid chlorine

I noticed at Home Depot they are selling 1-gallon "Chlorinating Solution," which I looked at the label and it's 10% hypochlorite, for $4.72. Has anyone used this?
    I buy my bleach at Dollar General, which is $3 for a gallon of 8.25%. Dollar General is the best deal I've found (2.75% per $1 spent), but I get a lot of Home Depot gift cards and might try their bleach.
    24k gallon inground gunite with fibertech liner
    Cartridge filter 100 sq ft

2. Back To Top    #2
    Ashland, KY

Re: Home Depot selling liquid chlorine

I've been buying the concentrated Clorox (8.75%) from Sam's Club for $8.50/3. They're only 121 oz, as opposed to a full gallon, but the turnover is so great that the strength is probably greater than 8.75. It works well for me and us the cheapest solution I've found.

20' x 40' vinyl inground, 1.5 hp hayward superpump, cartridge filter, gas heater
    fiber optic perimeter and cove lighting, Maytronics Dolphin Diagnostic, Skim Dr
    7' x 7' MasterSpa Legend series

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Review this thread:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

I think that the HD by my house has the same jugs of 10% on the shelf that they did when I became a member here 5+ years ago. I go ahead and stick with the 8.25% from the store shelves since it is almost surely fresher. Is fresher a word? More fresh.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Louisiana

Just watch the age on it, I saw several pallets of the stuff at a local HD stored outdoors in the garden center in the early spring a couple of years ago, it was obvious by the condition of the packaging that it had been out there A LONG TIME. Liquid Chlorine looses strength over time so while that stuff may have started out at 10% plus who knows how weak it was.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Lucky to have big r near us. Case of 4-1gal.@10% 8.99. Sale this week for 7.99 a case!
    18000 gal partially buried doughboy ag
    225 lbs. Sand Filter
    Single stage powerpak II pump

7. Back To Top    #7
    DFW, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by findog42000
    I noticed at Home Depot they are selling 1-gallon "Chlorinating Solution," which I looked at the label and it's 10% hypochlorite, for $4.72. Has anyone used this?
    Bought a box of four 1-gallon jugs of this last year and gave it a test run. Being that there was no date on the package, I selected the "newest looking" box I could find. Being a bit skeptical of its strength, I tested about an hour after dosing in the early evening. Test results (using TF-100 FAS-DPD) confirmed that strength was more like 6% and began dosing accordingly. Once I went through all of the jugs, I went back to purchasing the 8.25% Clorox at grocery stores/warehouse clubs and have used that ever since with great results.

If the pool stores around here sold this product (or one with a 12.5% sodium hypochlorite concentration), it might be worth a try since they would likely turn the product over at a higher rate than HD.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.