Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Municipal water & CH

1. Back To Top    #1

Battle Creek, MI

Municipal water & CH

I'm in the process of filling our pool with water from a municipal water source and it looks good so far. I decided to test the pH to see where I'd be and it came out 7.5. Just right. I also decided, out of curiosity, to test for CH. Not a critical factor, as it's a vinyl Intex pool and I plan to use the BBB method, but I do have some CalHypo left over from last season and I was curious about using it and the risk of raising my CH. Well, after using the CH test from my TFTest kit, I finally got some blueish water after close to 50 drops. Is it possible that my water source is in the 500 ppm range? That seems very high to me. I hope I was testing properly. Any thoughts?
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Municipal water & CH

If your city gets most of it's water from wells, you might call them, then it is possible to have that high of a CH level. My fill water is over 300 ppm and some of water is surface water so the wells could be much higher.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

That is possible. Try the CH test using the alternative 10ml so each drop is 25ppm and see what happens:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Flower Mound, TX

Very possible, yes. And the CH of municipal water can and does vary throughout the year, depending on the various sources that your city gets its water from. It isn't always from the same lake or impoundment. Sometimes, there are 3 or 4 different ones that they use.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT