Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Unions

1. Back To Top    #1
    Peoria, IL

PVC Unions

I recently bought some PVC unions for hard plumbing my pump, but now I see a sticker on them that says "For use with schedule 80 pipe." Are they ok to use with schedule 40 PVC pipe?
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Yukon, Oklahoma

Re: PVC Unions

I will take a stab at this. I believe the only reason it would say that is that as I recall, schedule 80 is VERY thin walled and low pressure unlike schedule 40 which can take alot of pressure. Since you are (I hope) use this around your pool, what? 30psi probably no more than 40psi?

I my opinion, you should not have a problem with excess leaking or failure with the pressures we are talking about in regards to a swimming pool.

Bob E.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Yes, schedule 40 pipe and schedule 80 fittings can be mixed together without problems.

Schedule 80 is designed for higher pressure applications than schedule 40. So it is a little bit of overkill but not a problem.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Sch 80 is for heavy duty applications and is rated for a higher psi. You should have no problem using it but is really not needed in residential pools.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it's fine. It will fit and work precisely as well as SCH 40. 80 is thicker on the I.D. only.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

6. Back To Top    #6

One huge advantage to schedule 80 is its uv resistance compared to 40. Ever been to any outdoor industrial water setups? When I was in environmental construction we used 40 in the ground and 80 above. Not only is it UV resistance better, but the added strength might be a real value if a tree limb or a fence falls on your piping, maybe an errant basketball or football!
    Patton B.

30K in ground pool, 1500 gallon in ground spa. Jandy aqua link 10 controller (1994 construction). Getting ready to replumb all surface pipe as well as replace heater and motors.