Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Stains All around Wall of Vinyl Pool Long Beach NY

1. Back To Top    #1

Black Stains All around Wall of Vinyl Pool Long Beach NY

I have a 16x32 Vinyl pool approx 18000 Gallon Salt Generator. When i opened the pool it had dirt a leaves at bottom and pool was green shock and filtering cleared the pool up in a couple of days. But I have blackish green stain all a\the bottom 1.5 foot of the wall of the pool completly the floor is not stained at all. When i put a vitimin c tablet on it it did nothing but with a piece of chlorine it worked. What suggestion to get rid of the stain.
    An additional problem I have is High hardness level I dropped 50% of the pool and it is still high any suggestions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black Stains All around Wall of Vinyl Pool Long Beach NY

My first suggestion is to post a full set of test results and how you got them.

Holding the FC at the high side of normal will lighten the stains.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

FC 1.0 PH 7.2 TA 80 CA 50 I ran out of my test solution for hardness but my strip test indicates its near 1000 water is clear.
    I emptied 50% of the pool and did not seem to have much of an effect on total Hardness . So your suggestion is to keep FC at around 3 and the stain should lighten? What should I do about the hardness issue? I tested my tap water with a strip and it indicates very low. Should I dump more water?

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to tfp, jml475

Quote Originally Posted by jml475
    Should I dump more water?
    Not yet. The strips are your first problem...the results they give are wrong more than they are right. So first you need to get an appropriate test kit. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison Many of us on here like the tf-100 since it is the best value.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please read Pool School and learn about the chemistry.

According to this FC/CYA chart, for a CYA of 50ppm (that is what you meant by CA right?) the MINIMUM FC level that you should ever allow is 4ppm. Bama suggestions was to hold it up around 6-8ppm to lighten organic staining.

Why dump more water when you can not accurately test yet?

Which kit do you have? Is it one of the Recommended Test Kits?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a no name kit I picked up at a local pool shop. I will order the TF-100 as suggested. I will increase my FC level as suggested and wait until I get a more accurate reading on harndess before I dump more water. Thanks for your help I will keep you posted.