Pump/filter help for new 21' Heritage AGP

reagan

May 23, 2011
NE Ohio
So we've been researching a new AGP and I think we've finally settled on the Heritage 21' x 54" round. According to my calculations, this will be roughly 10,400 gallons.

After reading the pump articles in Pool School, and deciding that a sand filter is best for our configuration (we live in NE Ohio and close for the winter), we have to choose between these pump/filter options:

Hayward S166T Sand Filter System with 1.5HP Power-Flo Pump S166T1580X15S $369.99
Pentair SD40 Sand Filter System with 1.5HP Opti-Flo Pump $389.99
Hayward S180T Sand Filter System with 1.5-HP Power-Flo Pump S180T1580X15S $399.99
Hayward S210T Sand Filter System with 1.5-HP Matrix Pump S210T93S $459.99

I searched the Hayward web site but can't find anything to indicate which pumps are dual speed or variable speed. I kind of feel like I should know this, but I don't. :oops:

Anyone have experience with specific models, either pro or con?

With less than $100 difference between the top/bottom models, we can do whichever one is going to work best. It will not be hard-plumbed this year, but most likely next year.

We're going with an overlap liner, and I'm wondering if there is a great difference between the 20 gauge and 25 gauge? My logic is, the greater the gauge, the thicker the liner, the better it will hold up, so it's worth the extra $50 to upgrade.

Any way you can get out of buying one of those combinations?

For your 10400 gallon pool we would recommend a minimum 2 sq. f.t sand filter.

So that would include the SD60 which is 2.3 sq. ft. and the S210T which is 2.2 sq. ft.

For a pump, all of those you listed are probably bigger than you need/want. Also, we would strongly recommend a 2-speed pump, since most of the time you would run on low speed.

I would go no bigger than the 1 hp matrix and again I would get the 2-speed.

If you really want to buy a package, you may want to look at this combo: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Pent...-Pump-with-Twist-Lock-Cord/PNSD0060DO2260.htm Otherwise buying seperatly will probably give you the best combination.

Thanks so much for the reply!

For a pump, all of those you listed are probably bigger than you need/want. Also, we would strongly recommend a 2-speed pump, since most of the time you would run on low speed.

This is actually my biggest concern, and could not for the life of me find clear spec information. Thanks for confirming this.

I appreciate the link; I'm going to check it out now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.