Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stenner Pump Setup

1. Back To Top    #1

Stenner Pump Setup

Can someone provide links or maybe a complete setup with everything I would need to do the Stenner pump chlorinator from start to finish? I've looked through the posts, but am still confused as to what I need for the complete setup (tubing, valves, size of pump, size of tank, etc.). There may be a very clear post somewhere, but I haven't found it yet...
    25,000 gallon Vinyl Lined Inground. One skimmer, 2 returns. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4, Hayward Pro Grid DE 3620 with VariFlow valve, LaarsLite 2 propane heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stenner Pump Setup

24,000 Gallon Vinyl Grecian IG,Triton2 Sand Filter / Pentair Super Flo 1 HP Dual Speed Pump ,
    Stenner Peristaltic Pump Injection w/15 gal drum,Stubbed up supply/return for future solar panels :)
    TF100 Rocks !! Pool School....

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you plan on running it on the same timer as the main pump, or will it have it's own timer?
    How often would you like to go between filling the tank?
    How much chlorine in ppm do you use per day now?
    Do you vary the run time of the main pump, say if your swimming?
    Do you have any water features that run at odd times?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Dave,

I don't have a timer on my pump; here we run them 24/7 so the Stenner would need a timer of its own. I do have a two speed pump but rarely turn it to low cause I forget to turn it back to high in the morning!!

No water features other than a slide that hooks up to a hydrant.

I would like to only have to fill the tank with bleach about once every 10 days to two weeks.

Right now I am going through about 288 oz of 6% bleach per day. CYA is at 40, but pool is in direct sunlight all day long. Thinking CYA needs bumped up.
    25,000 gallon Vinyl Lined Inground. One skimmer, 2 returns. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4, Hayward Pro Grid DE 3620 with VariFlow valve, LaarsLite 2 propane heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd go with the 10gpd fixed output pump and get a timer to operate it. I'd also get at least a 15 gallon drum or larger. Get the high pressure pump as it comes with the injection check valve. Also get the ¼" black tubing. All that comes with the pump. You can get the tank from them too, but a used drum is a lot cheaper. However it doesn't look as good.

You're losing about 6 ppm FC per day. That's way too much. I'd run an OCLT to see if anything is growing and if you pass, I'd raise the CYA to about 60 ppm.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Here is another link to help out...

http://www.troublefreepool.com/how-t...mp-t43736.html
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by westc
    Dave,

I don't have a timer on my pump; here we run them 24/7 so the Stenner would need a timer of its own. I do have a two speed pump but rarely turn it to low cause I forget to turn it back to high in the morning!!

No water features other than a slide that hooks up to a hydrant.

I would like to only have to fill the tank with bleach about once every 10 days to two weeks.

Right now I am going through about 288 oz of 6% bleach per day. CYA is at 40, but pool is in direct sunlight all day long. Thinking CYA needs bumped up.
    I purchased a outdoor timer for mine and it seems to work well for it and others. My set-up is here:

start-of-my-stenner-build-t60656.html
    IG, 18K gallons, 100' Perimeter, 565 SF surface area, 980sf interior area, Max Length -36', Max Width - 16', Pentair 520 Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter, Stenner Chemical Injection System (Chlorine, Acid Coming Soon) , Pebble Tech - Blue Granite, Pentair variable speed filter pump, Zodiac MX8 Cleaner, Multi-Colored LED Lighting, Travertine coping & Decking, Boulder Water Fall....

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all for the info!!

Dave,
    I figured that was way too much to be losing as well. I did the OCLT and am not losing anything overnight. No CC's as well. That was how I came to the conclusion that it must be all the sunlight and the CYA was too low.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just to put it into perspective - I am using 12-16% a day of 12.5% bleach. I am direct sun 98.2% of the day. (of course I don't have sun all day due to clouds, etc.)

Wonder if you got a dose of bad bleach ? But your numbers are CRAZY high - at least in my opinion.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover