Heat pump size

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Need to pull the trigger on a heat pump. Was set on the Pentair 125k BTU unit, but am questioning if it is undersized for my 33k gal, 950 sq ft surface area pool in NJ. Is it worth spending over $1K more to get a 145k Heat Siphon or Gulf Stream, or will we be just as happy with the heat provided by the Pentair unit? Is the extra 20K BTU and few points of COP worth it in reality for my part of the country?

I appreciate your input. I hear what you guys are saying... but, I will be installing solar power down the road... I have geothermal indoors. I want to be all electric. I realize that it will not give me the same heating capability at beginning and end of season, but all feedback I have read says that it will be fine at keeping our pool at temp during main part of season. And the $ I will save in one year, I can buy a nat gas heater if I want to to supplement in May and Sept.

If anyone in NJ has a HP and a similar size pool, I'd love to hear if it is worth the extra $ to bump up the COP and BTU with the Heat Siphon or Gulf Stream models or just stick with the cheaper 125k BTU Pentair that work on 485 bus with the IntelliTouch panel. Anyone running a Pentair 125 in NJ?

I second the "buy the biggest you can afford". Mine works okay for 19,000 gallons with a cover when it's reaching 70 during the day and stays above 50 at night. Of course it runs 24/7 to accomplish that, losing overnight and then gaining during the day as much as 10 degrees, after it's reached the target of 90 degrees. If i didn't run it at night it wouldn't keep it at 90.

When comparing the economics of a heat pump against a NG heater, don't forget to include the cost of pump run time. A heat pump may end up costing you much more because of that.

I have narrowed it down to Heat Spihon Z700 or AquaCal SQ175. The AquaCal is a couple hundred more and a few thousand BTUs less... but I have read a lot of good things about them. I'd appreciate any feedback on either one.

harleysilo said:
I second the "buy the biggest you can afford". Mine works okay for 19,000 gallons with a cover when it's reaching 70 during the day and stays above 50 at night. Of course it runs 24/7 to accomplish that, losing overnight and then gaining during the day as much as 10 degrees, after it's reached the target of 90 degrees. If i didn't run it at night it wouldn't keep it at 90.

:shock: Wow, maybe the qualifier should be if you want to keep your pool at 90 degrees a heat pump isn't a good idea! That's a bit high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I have an AquaCal - the slightly smaller one than you are getting...I have to admit, it really heated my pool much better than everyone was telling me. I got 10 degree rise (now it was 70 outside) in less than one full day...and with the solar cover I have been maintaining 84 degrees nicely.

The AquaCal tech support and staff are also 100% awesome...I had numerous issue that my PB wasn't perfect on and the factory stepped right up and really did a great job.

There is not way I would buy anything else, go for the AquaCal. If you want to talk more, PM me and we can chat on the phone....

Best of luck...and HP DO REALLY WORK!

toofast, thanks for the feedback. I got a IntelliFlo VF pump with the plan of running at around 30 gpm for longer period of time to hit the sweet spot on the pumps efficiency. Looks like the Aquacal units run fine at 30 gpm.

How does AquaCal handle service? I am concerned about finding someone to service the unit under warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.