Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat pump size

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat pump size

Need to pull the trigger on a heat pump. Was set on the Pentair 125k BTU unit, but am questioning if it is undersized for my 33k gal, 950 sq ft surface area pool in NJ. Is it worth spending over $1K more to get a 145k Heat Siphon or Gulf Stream, or will we be just as happy with the heat provided by the Pentair unit? Is the extra 20K BTU and few points of COP worth it in reality for my part of the country?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat pump size

Is this an indoor or outdoor pool?

If it's an outdoor pool I wouldn't suggest a HP.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

For NJ, get a gas heater if you have access to NG.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I appreciate your input. I hear what you guys are saying... but, I will be installing solar power down the road... I have geothermal indoors. I want to be all electric. I realize that it will not give me the same heating capability at beginning and end of season, but all feedback I have read says that it will be fine at keeping our pool at temp during main part of season. And the $ I will save in one year, I can buy a nat gas heater if I want to to supplement in May and Sept.

If anyone in NJ has a HP and a similar size pool, I'd love to hear if it is worth the extra $ to bump up the COP and BTU with the Heat Siphon or Gulf Stream models or just stick with the cheaper 125k BTU Pentair that work on 485 bus with the IntelliTouch panel. Anyone running a Pentair 125 in NJ?
    32K gal, gunite, French Gray DB, IntelliFlo VF, IntelliFlo, WhisperFlo, Quad DE 100 filter, IntelliTouch, IC-60 SWG, IntelliChem, Dolphin M5

5. Back To Top    #5

If your dead set on a heat pump, get the biggest one you can afford, and then push it.
    And those COP values they state....take them with a caution. Those values are under ideal conditions.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I second the "buy the biggest you can afford". Mine works okay for 19,000 gallons with a cover when it's reaching 70 during the day and stays above 50 at night. Of course it runs 24/7 to accomplish that, losing overnight and then gaining during the day as much as 10 degrees, after it's reached the target of 90 degrees. If i didn't run it at night it wouldn't keep it at 90.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

When comparing the economics of a heat pump against a NG heater, don't forget to include the cost of pump run time. A heat pump may end up costing you much more because of that.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

I have narrowed it down to Heat Spihon Z700 or AquaCal SQ175. The AquaCal is a couple hundred more and a few thousand BTUs less... but I have read a lot of good things about them. I'd appreciate any feedback on either one.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    I second the "buy the biggest you can afford". Mine works okay for 19,000 gallons with a cover when it's reaching 70 during the day and stays above 50 at night. Of course it runs 24/7 to accomplish that, losing overnight and then gaining during the day as much as 10 degrees, after it's reached the target of 90 degrees. If i didn't run it at night it wouldn't keep it at 90.
    Wow, maybe the qualifier should be if you want to keep your pool at 90 degrees a heat pump isn't a good idea! That's a bit high.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    When comparing the economics of a heat pump against a NG heater, don't forget to include the cost of pump run time. A heat pump may end up costing you much more because of that.
    A 2-speed pump running at low speed (<0.2kW) should only cost $0.40-1.00 per 24 hours to run.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

11. Back To Top    #11

So I have an AquaCal - the slightly smaller one than you are getting...I have to admit, it really heated my pool much better than everyone was telling me. I got 10 degree rise (now it was 70 outside) in less than one full day...and with the solar cover I have been maintaining 84 degrees nicely.

The AquaCal tech support and staff are also 100% awesome...I had numerous issue that my PB wasn't perfect on and the factory stepped right up and really did a great job.

There is not way I would buy anything else, go for the AquaCal. If you want to talk more, PM me and we can chat on the phone....

Best of luck...and HP DO REALLY WORK!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

12. Back To Top    #12

toofast, thanks for the feedback. I got a IntelliFlo VF pump with the plan of running at around 30 gpm for longer period of time to hit the sweet spot on the pumps efficiency. Looks like the Aquacal units run fine at 30 gpm.

How does AquaCal handle service? I am concerned about finding someone to service the unit under warranty.

13. Back To Top    #13

my PB is a certified AquaCal tech, so no worries for me. I would not image you will have a problem either.
    I run fine on low after a bit of dialing in...
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover