plaster startup

msumoose

In The Industry
Apr 19, 2012
I have a friend whose pool I will end up taking care of. I have been watching her build, and it has come to the point that I am about to be brought in to train her on care. I know that the builder she used is top notch, but when I asked her what was done to start the pool, the response was nothing. Just filled with water.

The pool filled Saturday. Is it too late to do a bicarb start?

The cloudy water could be from not filtering the new water, or from "plaster dust." Get the filter running (if not running).
The TA is high, so therefore, the Bicarb start-up has been partially performed by the fill water. No need to add more Bicarb.

At this point, keep the chlorine additions going, and add acid to lower pH to below 8.0. Once that is done, add calcium chloride to raise the calcium level to at least 150 ppm. Do not add calcium chloride until the pH is below 8.0.
Then follow the TFP guidelines (Recommendations) under Pool School, and brush the pool twice a day for two weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.