Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: test kit level help

1. Back To Top    #1

test kit level help

Need some help with my first go at testing all the level in my new pool. Have been following the BBB up till know. Will start using the SWG, when I get my levels back down.
    When I went out to test my chlorine and Ph this morning, Ph was 7.5, but chlorine was dark orange .
    So I got out the test kit and decided I needed to do all the test and see what is going on.

16ppm FC
    1 CC
    17 TC
    270 TA
    100 CH
    25 CYA

Am I doing this right?
    Had the pool filled for 6 days. Up to this point, just doing the daily kit my PH was 7.5, and chlorine was 2.5. All along the pool has looked very clear. Thanks for any help I can get.
    New Intex Ultra Frame AGP 18x52, 7200 gallons, sand filter, SWG
    pool school, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: test kit level help

You ARE doing things right! If CC is above .5, the shock process is called for. 16 is just a bit high for 25 CYA, but not a problem.

Continue to monitor FC & CC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, should I still be using the Dichlor and Borax at night?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by shari25
    Hi, should I still be using the Dichlor and Borax at night?
    No.

Dichlor will raise CYA, so save it until after you have killed whatever is causing the high CC. Bleach is best for beginners.

You don't need Borax. Your pH is fine.

Is this a continuation of some other thread?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

No continuation. Just a newbe trying to get it right.

6. Back To Top    #6

I feel so dumb. I even have pool school printed out and in a binder, read and re-read. I cant fugure out how much bleach to add to shock it.

7. Back To Top    #7

I feel so dumb. I even have pool school printed out and in a binder, read and re-read. I cant fugure out how much bleach to add to shock it.
    Shock level is 12 for 25 CYA according to http://www.poolcalculator.com/

So plug your numbers, including the volume. into the right column, then plug 12 in the target for FC and it will tell you how much bleach to add. Be sure you select the strength you're using. Really easy.

8. Back To Top    #8

170 oz of bleach ? sound right? Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

170 oz of bleach ? sound right? Thanks
    Not if you're already at 16.