First, this is a wonderful website full of excellent information; thank you to everyone who helps support this site!
Now to "la problema": I opened my 18,000 gallon in-ground pool 9 days ago. It was a green swamp, so I got my levels right and began shocking. It quickly turned from green to blue but has remained so cloudy I can only see down to the second step. I added bleach yesterday morning and when I came home 8 hours later my FC was not even registering. So after doing reading on the algae board I thought I may have algae. I began the algae protocol specified (checking every 1/2 hour for FC level...adding shock if it dropped, etc.). I thought I may have beaten it, but this morning my pool looks even worse. The only thing I can chalk it up to is that I brushed it for the first time yesterday so I may have released algae or particulates into the water.
I do not yet have the Taylor test kit (it's in the mail!), so unfortunately I only know that my FC is over 5. So here are my questions:
Can I add too much shock and damage anything (other than my pocket book)?
Is algae always visible or can it manifest in a very cloudy pool?
Thank you in advance....I'm desperate!