Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stained pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Stained pool

I had a oak tree land in my pool during Sandy. We had to wait for claim agent to come and assess the damage. Pool was closed w/o removing all the debris because they wanted it drained to inspect. We opened up couple weeks ago, drained, power wash, filled so wouldn't damage pool while waiting for addtl claim response. Now some stains have come off but many still remain. They will cover acid wash but I think plaster damaged from 50' oak tree canopy and the staining needs plaster redone?
    35k IG Gunite, DE 60 SqFt filter, single speed pentair whisperflo WFE 28 2 hp 1.1 sf pump, 7 yr old pool with attach spa, Polaris 380 cleaner w/ booster pump, Jackson, New Jersey

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stained pool

Can you post some pics?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I had to shrink pic size with downloaded app so lets see if it works
    Attached Images Attached Images
    35k IG Gunite, DE 60 SqFt filter, single speed pentair whisperflo WFE 28 2 hp 1.1 sf pump, 7 yr old pool with attach spa, Polaris 380 cleaner w/ booster pump, Jackson, New Jersey

4. Back To Top    #4

Any advice on removing stubborn stains pictured

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't have any advice on removing stains as we are just starting to get quotes on putting one it. I did want to say that I am sorry you had that happen to you. Christmas Day we had a live oak fall on our home. Thank god it did not puncture the home. Had to re-do some of the roof and had inside sheet rock damage that had to be redone and painted. Once it is in the past it is in the past but while you are living it, not fun. Sorry.
    Pool: IG, 8'W x20'L x5' deep, 6000 gallons, Stonescapes Blue Tropics Mini-Pebble gunite pool
    Equipment: Hayward SwimClear 3030 cartridge filter, SP32102EE Tristar 1 HP 2-speed pump,
    Universal H-Series Low NOx H400FDN (400K BTU) heater, SWG = Hayward Aqua
    Rite with Turbo Cell 9, and a Navigator XL cleaner
    Ground break 7/12/2013 Filled 8/6/2013

6. Back To Top    #6

The ones that look like they hit and smear look like organic stains.

Try placing/rubbing a trichlor tab on them. If they lighten, the stain is organic.
    Raised/elevated chlorine levels should take care of organic stains.

If no joy, try a cheap vitiman C tablet. Do same, rub on stain, if it lightens the stain is metals.
    If not too large an area, you can remove metal stains by crushing a bunch of cheap vitamin C tabs in a sock and moving it around on the stains.

...cheap vit c tabs don't have the outer coating
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

btw, are you using an algae brush?

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a nylon pool brush ...

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Edcialk
    I have a nylon pool brush ...
    Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anyting other than a nylon brush.
    Did you test the stains?

10. Back To Top    #10

Stains are coming up with trichlor tab and time.