Increase suction

Jun 23, 2012
St Pete FL
OK so I am cleaning a 15,000 galllon DE filter pool with pebbletec finish. The pool deck was recently cleaned and unfortunately alot of small particles of debris ended in the pool. Have a multiport I can turn to waste but is there a way I can somehow increase my suction to pick up these particles better.
Pump has been running extra long and water clears up ok but...when I brush the pool I still find alot of the particles and then it clouds up the water. Have a hayward pump I believe is 1 hp.
Also it has a wallport where I think the previous owner had a automatic pool cleaner attached. Is there any reason I couldn't use that to vac out the pool? Would it have the same amount of suction or better or worse. Pros vs cons of using the wallport vs skimmer attachment. THANKS

It probably isn't going to matter whether you go through the skimmer or the vacuum port to clean the pool. The only way to increase the suction of the vac is to partially or completely close the main drain if you have one and it has its own valve.

lilpam14 said:
GREAT thanks I was afraid to close for fear of hurting something else.

The actual amount you need to close it may vary as your filter gets dirt. Just slowly close it until you get the suction you need, but if you close it too far, you might have problems maintaining prime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.