Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High CYA Red water clear. FILTER SOCKS V STIFF. WHY?

1. Back To Top    #1

High CYA Red water clear. FILTER SOCKS V STIFF. WHY?

We have a reading of CYA 100 and on the chart I see I should maintain the FC level at 8-12ppm to allow for this. Is the water comfortable and safe to swim in with FC maintained at this level? I have let the FC drop to 5.2 but think I must add more to comply with the chart.

Our TA is very high at 220, we normally have low PH. My first reading with our new kit (LaMotte prof 7) had the pH off the bottom of the scale. I added about 25 kilos of PH+ and have now a reading of 7.4 which is OK. I have set the return to break the surface to try to lower the TA level. Is there anything else I should do?

FC 5.2
    pH 7.4
    TA 220
    CYA 100
    23k, IG,Vinyl, sock, 5 years.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High CYA and therefore high FC levels. Is it safe? HELP!

Likely you should replace a lot of water to lower the CYA to the recommended levels in Pool School.

Yes it is safe. In fact it is very safe to swim up to shock level ... that would be 40ppm if you CYA is actually 100. This is still less active chlorine than found in a pool with 0 cya and FC at 2ppm ...like many public pools.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much Jason. I'll keep you posted as to how I get on... Caro

4. Back To Top    #4

We have a reading of CYA 100 and on the chart
    The CYA test can only read up to about 90ish and anything over that it reads as 100. So, it could be 200 or 300.

I suggest you do a 50/50 dilution test to help confirm the CYA really is not above 100.

Add one part tap water to one part pool water and perform the test with that. Then double the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Extended Test Kit Directions
    If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
    1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
    2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
    3. Shake briefly to mix.
    4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
    5. Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.

If you are not confident in your reading, you can pour the solution from the view tube back into the mixing bottle and then try filling the view tube again. You can repeat this portion of the test over and over again for several minutes without affecting the test results.
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the advice on testing at half strength to get an accurate reading for CYA. I will do that tomorrow and post the results.

6. Back To Top    #6

Updated readings:
    FC 5
    TRC 5.2
    CC -.2
    PH 7.5
    TA 180 (after subtraction because of high CYA) 119.4
    CYA 200. I did the 50% tap water test and it was probably still slightly off the scale. Do I dilute any more and test again?
    Bromine 11.25
    Calcium Hardness 340
    The weather is still mixed. We have had huge amounts of rain over the past two days. Pool temperature is around 71.
    As our CYA is so high should I replace some of the pool water or can I continue with trying to aerate the water and hope we get there eventually.?
    If we replace the water, we would have to use our filtered water which is soft as the untreated tap water comes from a well and has a very high iron content. Could you advise as to any special treatments?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Your CYA is far in excess of what we owuld suggest. It would be a good idea to do a drain/refill process to get your pool back in a manageable range of about 50 ppm.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Caro
    Updated readings:
    FC 5
    TRC 5.2
    CC -.2
    PH 7.5
    TA 180 (after subtraction because of high CYA) 119.4
    CYA 200. I did the 50% tap water test and it was probably still slightly off the scale. Do I dilute any more and test again?
    Bromine 11.25
    Calcium Hardness 340
    The weather is still mixed. We have had huge amounts of rain over the past two days. Pool temperature is around 71.
    As our CYA is so high should I replace some of the pool water or can I continue with trying to aerate the water and hope we get there eventually.?
    If we replace the water, we would have to use our filtered water which is soft as the untreated tap water comes from a well and has a very high iron content. Could you advise as to any special treatments?
    Capture that rain! Seriously. It has no CYA and no iron, and after the first day, there's not so much dirt coming off the roof, and what does get in the pool is easily filtered out. My setup lets me raise the level 3X the rainfall. I'd love to set it up to drain even more of the roof. Try the math on your pool. Here's how mine works out: I have an average depth of 60". Say the storm (go ahead and laugh, this is considered a storm in LA) dumps an inch of rain. That puts 3 inches in my pool. That's a 5% reduction in CH and CYA. I was where you were once, except instead of a well, I had water restrictions. I was able to maintain the pool with CYA over 200 by keeping FC really high, testing with FAS-DPD every time. As long as CYA/FC ratio is maintained, it's safe to swim in. But life is much easier with reasonable CYA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the encouragement. We will see if we can harness the rain from the roof. The only trouble is that the rain should stop within the next week or so and that will probably be it until the thunderstorms in August. I have a feeling we will have to drain and refill at least in part. We will probably start with a third and see where we are after that.

10. Back To Top    #10

Just one more question Richard! As you had a similar level of CYA ( 200 ) what is the level at which I should aim to keep the FC? As our CYA is off the chart, I would have to guess the correct level of FC and should prefer to have an idea of what level you think is safe to aim for!

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry- and another question. I can smell chlorine and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this is a result of too little FC and not excessive Chlorine, which would make sense given my existing problem. Is that the case?

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry- and another question. I can smell chlorine and I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that this is a result of too little FC and not excessive Chlorine, which would make sense given my existing problem. Is that the case?
    Yes.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

13. Back To Top    #13

Just one more question Richard! As you had a similar level of CYA ( 200 ) what is the level at which I should aim to keep the FC? As our CYA is off the chart, I would have to guess the correct level of FC and should prefer to have an idea of what level you think is safe to aim for!
    Extrapolate the chart in Pool School. If 7 is the minimum for a cya of 100, then approx 14ppm would be the minimum for a cya of 200 (which you might still be higher than that)

Or put your numbers in the poolcalculator and it will tell you the recommended FC range.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Extrapolate the chart in Pool School. If 7 is the minimum for a cya of 100, then approx 14ppm would be the minimum for a cya of 200 (which you might still be higher than that)

Or put your numbers in the poolcalculator and it will tell you the recommended FC range.
    This ^^^^^
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks everyone.

16. Back To Top    #16

Aerating/oxygenating the pool water

Mod Edit: Please keep posts on your current pool situation in one thread.
    I want to aerate my pool water, in addition to the return water. Can anyone recommend a solar powered fountain or pump which will do the job?

17. Back To Top    #17

Re: Aerating/oxygenating the pool water

Why do you want to aerate the water?

You'll be better off building or buying a fountain that runs off a return.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I want do everything possible to reduce our CYA level, so wanted something in addition to the return. That said, I saw a fountain which uses the return and assume that because of the height of the water and the smaller droplets, it would be more efficient.

19. Back To Top    #19

The only way to reduce your CYA level is to drain water. Aerating causes pH to rise and is recommended when people are actively trying to lower their TA using acid additions followed by aeration.

20. Back To Top    #20

Aerating will also help cool the pool if to warm
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast