New Pool, New Owner, Help!

Jun 3, 2013
Indiana
We bought our pool last Wednesday. Simple small pool. In our back yard which is large we only have a small area that we are able to place the pool due to our septic and power lines. We went with a Pro Series Ultra Frame Metal Pool that is a 15x42. Fun for the kids was our aim.
We leveled the ground on Friday and set up the pool. Add about 2 inches of water to the bottom to straighten the liner. All water is coming from our well.
We bought HTH product line. The 4 steps, Alge control, and shock and swim all HTH brand. Read everything and at this time "think we know what we should be doing"
The Algecide said to add some during the fill, for opening a pool. We did at about the half way point of the water.
Started to fill it the rest of the way. Continued filling through Saturday. As the pool reached about half way we notice it was a light green color. By Sunday mid morning the pool was filled to the skimmer. It is a side wall filter skimmer with a cartridge. We turned the pump on.
We tested and CL was 0 PH was 7.4 We added the Shock thinking that would clean up the green. Ran the pump and the green got darker to where I could no longer see the bottom. We then added claifier thinking that would "clean it up". Nope. So I came here and started reading and reading.
Tested again and Cl was about 4 and PH was still at 7.4 We just have a tester that test CL, BR, and PH.

After reading, I learned that it was probably the metals in my well water making the "green". So we ran to Walmart and bought HTH Metal. We added 16 oz late last night and ran the pump continually. Cleaned the filter before bed, again and 5 am, and again at 10 am this morning. The filters were a nasty orange color and very dirty. At 11 I replaced the cartridge and added more HTH Metal and let the pump run until about 1pm. I tested again and same results CL 4 and PH 7.4. At this point I could see the tile design on the liner, but the water was still green almost a green/turquoise color.
I decided that I would call a pool company and see if they could test my water for me. I took some in and the ALK was above 240 all other numers were the same as my last test above.
They said that I need to get the ALK in check and to use 1/2 gallon of MA. Come home turn off pump and poor it in let is sit for a few hours and then turn on pump again. I also bought a strip test kit that checks CL, ALK, PH, and CYA. I checked the water before adding the acid. It tested CL 4, ALK 240, PH 7.2, CYA about 60.
I waited about 3 hours and started running the pump, water stayed about the same, I could see the tile pattern across the pool but still greeny/turquoise.
I have now ran the pump for about 4 hours and retested. CL O, PH about 6.8, ALK still about 240, CYA O. I began reading again. What I read is that PH needs to stay in check and the using MA will decrease the PH, to bring back the PH with out using chemicals that will up the ALK at the same time I need to arerate. I turned the water output to just skim the water surface to begin this process in hopes it will bring the PH back to 7.4 with out chemicals.
The pool place seemed to think that my water is the way it is because of the out of control ALK.

So after all of that long winded story.
Here is where I am.
I have 0 CL, 0 CYA, PH last check was about 6.8 and ALK 240. My pump is still running. I just now went out and took out the filter still nice and orange cleaned it and replaced it. I have not added anything else am and letting the pump run through out the night.
So do I now add more HTH Metal? More MA? What is my next step come morning? Add more shock? CL?
Is the color of the water simply because of the well water/metal in my water? Is it because of the ALK being out of wack?

The water is better as of today (day 2 of being filled). But still greeny/turquoise. Now now CL or CYA in pool, PH is low, and ALK is High. Pumping is running and filter being cleaned and is alway orange each cleaning. Aerarating through out the night with the water output skimming the water surface in hopes of bringin PH up with out the use of chemicals that would up the ALK.

Any input, suggestions, comments are welcome!

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Never add chems without pump running or some way to circulate the water. Dumping MA in your pool was bad advice. I'll let others chime in on that.....

1. For now, you need to add borax and get the ph up to at least the low 7's sooner rather than later.

2. Add some more sequesterant. Try 1/2 dose this time.

3. Add about 30 CYA via sock method.

4. Maintain about 2 to 4 ppm FC using plain bleach/liquid chlorine.

5. Order one of the recommended test kits (recommend TF100 link in my sig)

and, post a pic :)

Thank you for the welcome!
Day 3!
I let the pump run all night did not add anything other chemicals and had the water out put skimming the water all night to help raise the PH up, (hoping it would)
This morning I checked the cartridge, it was ORANGE and all water in the filter was orange, orange like vegetable soup.
I cleaned the cartridge and replaced.
I then tested: CL 0, PH about 7.0, ALK dropped maybe a little guessing about 200, CYA 0.
As of this morning it is clearer. I can see clear accross the pool all of the liner and about half way up the side looking across the pool, it is still green/turquoisy though, but from day one when I couldnt see the bottom, day two where I could kinda see the bottom, it has improved.
I then came in and checked to see if I had any replies and yeah you replied!!!!

So I have to get more sequestrant I am out, doing that in a bit.
I added shock about 1/2 a bag??? Hoping this is right. (going off of your number 3 thinking I understood that correctly)(please let me know if I didnt)
I need to get bleach as well, How much should I add?
With Borax - how much do you add? Will doing the arerating do this or is it a wast of my time?
Pump is still running. It is getting better just slowly.
As far as the ALK it is still high and only had dropped a tid bit, should I not worry about that right now and get the metal out first or what is your advice on this?
I have pictures. How do I add them? The bad part with the pictures is that they dont really reflect what they pool looks like as of this morning I can see the bottom and across it up half way the other side of the pool, the pictures just show green only.

As of about 2 pm est today -
After adding 1/2 gallon of bleach and 1/2 bag of shock this morning:
CL 4, CYA about 60, PH is running about 7.0-7.2 (no borax added yet, just bought some just dont know how much to add) )the ph is rising with doing the arerating with the out flow water), ALK still high about 180.
I just added 16 oz of HTH Metal about 15 mins ago and cleaned the filter as well, again orange but not as bad as this morning its only a a few hours since last cleaning.
Still looks like it did this morning and still running the pump.
I can see progress slowly! Day three is by far better than day 1! Feeling less defeted today :))))))))

So my question now is - do I continue working on removing the metal as I am and keeping CL/CYA/PH in check during this process and then once Metal is in check then worry about ALK by adding more MA?
What will having the ALK high do to the pool/water/swimmers? Is it supper important to worry about?

You're doing good :goodjob: Keep the pH in the low 7's.

Don't worry about TA (alk). Use MA only to keep your pH in low 7's range.

Keep the FC in the lower end of recommended levels, based on the CYA level.

You should stop adding powder shocks and switch to plain bleach/liquid chlorine.

Have you added CYA yet? You want to have about 30 CYA in the pool for now and keep a close eye on the FC.
You want to avoid the possibility of needing to shock the pool.

Keep filtering and cleaning the filter.

Walmart sells the CYA (check label and get 95-100% CYA) and plain clorox or liquid chlorine.

Are you using the PoolCalculator.com?

For photos, you can use a free account like to host the pictures like Photobucket, Picasa, Flickr, etc Once you upload, copy/paste the IMG tag into your post and hit preview. Your pic should appear in your post.

It would help responders if you add your pool and equipment info in your sig and add your location in your profile.

You can do some google searches (bottom left of each page) for 'orange water' 'well water' 'paper towel trick' , and get more ideas.

I havent gotten CYA added yet.
It is going but a slow process, think I am getting the hang of it.
Using plain bleach today has done wonders with out a doubt, love this tip!!!
ALK is still through the roof, but realized Im just dont going to worry about that!
PH is on the way up and CL is hanging in there.
Now to get all of this metal out! It gets clearer and clearer each day, come on Friday thats my goal, lol!
I checked/played with the pool calc. tonight, and love it!!!!! Such a nice tool!
Will get pics posted asap and update my sig with my info.
Thank you for the advice so far, I am sure I will have many more questions.
Day by day right, lol!

CYA is being done today :)
I read many many posts on this board last night, read through every help section/chart there is and finally think I understand it all, I am sure there will be more quetsions arise.
But with out a doubt CL dropped again this morning :) just as expected with CYA not in check! :? :shock:
So CYA being added today in a sock to bring it up to atleast 30-40. Which as I understand will balance out the CL and maintain it. Then it will be balanced once the "over night test" maintains. I think I am getting this!!! :party:
As far as my water color/iron, still using Metal Control daily.
As of this morning the filter cartridge still orage but the water in the filter was more of a diluted orange. The water seems to be less green more turquoisey and seems maybe a little cloudy (is the cloudy anything I need to do anything about other than what I am already doing?)
PH is finally in check running about 7.2-7.4 this was done with only arerating, I didn not use end up using the borax.
ALK is still through the roof, but that is the least of my concern right now, leasson learned dont lesson to pool store and follow the BBB and this board much more knowledge here!
CL right now is about 2 dropped from last night, CYA is barely showing, hince my cl drop and that is my goal today!
I am learning tons and finally feel that this pool isnt kicking my hiney but me kicking its hiney!
I cant think this board enough and cant wait to finally post "my pool is clear, blue and totally balanced" that day is coming!!!!!
:whoot:
I tried to find where I add info to my sig, Im not sure how to do that, can you direct me? :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Didnt get a pic of day 1

This is day 2: I could seem some of the bottom but barely:

This is Day 3: The pictures looks worse than it was. I could see the bottom all the way across the pool up the far side wall about 1/2 way.

Today Day 4:
Again picture looks more green than it is :/, hate that, It is more turquoise than green, I can see all across the bottom and up the side walls all the way around. (see my post above for more details on the status of it)

So after seeing pictures what are your thoughts?

I fixed your pics so they show up. It would be nice if you'd add your general location to your sig too. :)

I can see the bottom in those pics if I look hard.

Do you have a recent set of test that you can post?
pH
FC
CC
TA
CH
CYA
Or as many as you have.

Also tell us again how much CYA and sequestrant have you added?

Is there any way that you could get metal free water brought in to fill the pool with. I hate it, but if you can't you'll be fighting the sequestrant from now on.

Here's what to do now.
Test and adjust the pH
Add enough bleach to get the FC to about 4 ppm.

Post the info I asked about above and we'll go from there.

Thank you Dave for fixing my pics - not sure what I did wrong for them not to show up, Thank you :)

Sig all fixed :) I beleive!

After much thought about out well water and green/metal filled pool tonight we made the decision to drain it. It is draining now - almost a bitter sweet for me, I have learned so much and wanted to BEAT this pool, but logically thinking, time/money/electric/gas etc we are using to just maintain the pool in hopes of it getting better and getting all of this iron out. Compared to only $175 for it to be filled with City water by being tanked in, we decided to go with tanking it in, in hopes of saving some time and money trying to beat this pool. So water will be delivered Sunday morning. I cant wait to see how it is and what it does and what a difference there will be, crossing all fingers. The test kit I have now tests cl, ph, cya, alk. I will be ordering the famous reccomended test soon (as money allows). And can not wait to get it and have as close to accurate results as possible, but until I can order the one I have has to do for now.
So come Sunday what is your advice on what to do first with tanked in water?

I think you made the right decision. You would have had to constantly battle the metals.

When the new water goes in have some bleach and some CYA ready to put in. As soon as you get the pump running test and adjust the pH and add about 3 ppm of bleach and hang a sock of CYA in there. Then add 3 ppm of FC each day until the CYA is dissolved. Once it's dissolved, start adding enough FC each day for the amount of CYA you added.

Adjusting the PH I should use Borax, am I correct?
To figure how much CYA I need to use the pool calc. correct?
1 bottle of Metal Out after it is first filled will take care of all fill water added? Or should I add Metal Out each time we add fill water?
Talk to me like I dont know what I'm talking about, lol, cause I dont, lol on this question: FC - adding it daily until the CYA is dissolved - is this the same as adding bleach (fc = adding more bleach or no?)
Then once it is all balanced - do I continually add CYA/Bleach?
Using the BBB method do I still use any 1" cl tabs in my filter (the size my filter takes)??

What you use to adjust the pH depends on whether it's high or low. Borax if it's low and acid if it's high.
Correct use the pool calculator to figure out how much CYA to add to get to about 40 ppm.
The metal out will deplete after a while so you'll have to add a maintenance dose every so often.
Bleach adds FC. The pool calculator will help you figure out how much bleach to add to get the proper FC for your CYA.
You only have to add CYA probably once a year. You need to add bleach every day.
We don't recommend using the tablets, but if you have some already, save them to use for vacations, etc..

Got it :)
After you posted the answer to the PH question, I shook my head at myself, I new that answer already! :/
I do beleive I think I know what to do and how to :)
Come Sunday I will post pics, testing results and excited to share and hope it is a beautiful blue and clear!!!

Pool water was just filled!!!!
So nice to see clear blue sparkly water!
I just tested. CL was .05 - I used the pool cal. and added 56 oz of bleach.
PH tests about 7.8 which is a bit high, should I acid or leave it alone?
CYA is running about 30 I added 6.1 oz of CYA in a sock and hung.
ALK is running about 140 I havent added anything for this.
What advice do you have at this point?
I am still using my testing kit I already had - I will be ordering the "correct" kit soon (once funds allow), soon :)
Filter is running now and will test againg in a bit.
We are susposed to be getting rain - do I do anything special after a rain or what is your advice on this subject?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.