dents in bottom of pool

Aug 13, 2012
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I have some questions that have not been answered yet. our pool was installed in early september of last year. We had some weather issues that set us back considerably on the build. after the dig, we had rain. The clay soil did not dry up it only held water in even as the PB was trying to pump it out. Stone was brought in to offset the soft soil and the portland mix was put in. That looked great before the liner went in. the liner seemed to go smoothly and looked great. As we waited for the backfill to settle so we could poor concrete, it rained again and again (maybe one more time in there also). This did concern me as I was worried that all the rain would get water behind the liner as only the coping was visible. While waiting, I turned on the light one night and saw a few small craters in the pool. I didn't think anything of it as it was only a couple. At the end of the season and after the concrete finally went in, my kids jumped in once and then we closed it up. The opening went smooth and the kids started swimming. I turned the light on again and saw more craters. we had some people in the pool recently and after I saw the picture below. I had the PB over to look at it during the day and had emailed him some night time pictures. he explained that some pool builders put liner pads down to keep appearences up. is this true? Is this a common problem? I used a non local PB, looked at some other work in the area and talked to owners. All had good things to say. Will these dents work themselves out or will they only get worse? please help[attachment=0:1u998sxu]pool dents.JPG[/attachment:1u998sxu]

Attachments

• pool dents.JPG
    pool dents.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 301
You shouldn't keep your pool so crystal clear! And don't go swimming at night with the pool lights on and a pair of goggles, it will drive you crazy when you see all the tiny imperfections....ask me how i know....

I've got a set of foot prints walking across my deep end....

I've found that the foam, which i have on the walls and steps (not the floor) does not hide imperfections, it just makes the walls soft. This makes sense to me as the foam will just get pressed into the "craters" and they will show through the liner.

Just a heads up on this problem. I contacted the PB and after they took a look at it closer to night time with the light on, they agreed that it was a problem from the install. The fact that it had been almost a year and the bottom was still soft was not something he could let go. The original installer from the company did not mix enough portland with the sand. He doesn't work there anymore. Because he is an honest PB who values his reputation, he pulled the liner resurfaced the bottom and installed a new liner at no charge to me! We just opened the pool and so far, the bottom looks great (even at night). Will go in this weekend and see how it feels on the feet. Will post new pics soon.

Reactions: MollyA
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.