Filter pressure question

May 31, 2013
Virginia
Checked the filter pressure tonight and it was around 50. This is too high, right? I don't know what the startup pressure was, I didn't know to look (I'm brand spanking new with this pool thing).

I'm surprised it was this high, the pool was scrubbed clean and filled with water only about 2-3 weeks ago. How often does one typically need to backwash? Thanks!

The filter pressure may, indeed, be too high, but your gauge is broken constant speed pool pumps are only capable of producing around 35 psi.

Replace the gauge and report your new psi. Also, please report a complete set of test results and we'll help you get your pool in shape.

Ah, okay. I thought this seemed really high for a brand new pool; my water is crystal clear and has been from day one. The gauge goes up to 60. I need to order a real test kit, I've been using test strips with a few runs to the pool store to double check.

All my readings were close to optimum except slight low ph (7.2) but high TA. I've been doing some dry acid and aerating to bring up ph. Thanks for the quick reply!

Oh, I should add that my sand filter is huge for our pool according to our pool repair guy, not sure if that makes a difference? He cleaned out and replaced the sand when we opened our pool 2-3 weeks ago. I don't know the size of it (will look into it). He said its big enough to filter a commercial pool.

Bigger is often better on filters, just not sure how much advice I would take from the repair guy though as it is our collective experience that sand almost never needs to be changed within the lifetime of the filter. People have examined sand out of pool filters where the sand has not been changed in several decades under a microscope and found it nearly identical to new sand. Remember sand is generated in nature by millions of years of erosion, a decade or two sitting in a pool filter is not likely to do much to it.

Well dang that would have saved us a wad of cash. Live and learn, I guess. We didn't question the sand change because the pool had not been in use for several years at least and was a green swampy mess, and a lot of the plumbing had to be replaced. Plus we're pool newbies. I will look at the filter size today, but it is pretty big compared to the pictures of the ones I have seen posted here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.