added 3 cups bleach
let sit over night without pump running

Monday 6/4
8am
- Noticed iron reacted to bleach; no deposits on liner, just suspended iron
- finished filling pool
5:45pm
- took first sample from middle of pool; glass jar down, then turned up
- cleaned filter; wrapped in Viva heavy duty papertowel; turned pump on for first time
- added 6oz HTH metal control per instructions
- Test Results:
--- FC 3.4
--- PH 7.0 or less
(sealed sample then left for 3 hour break for kids softball game same sample used for these)
--- TA 325
--- CH 300
--- CYA unrecognizable
10:30pm
- turned pump off

Im guessing the break in time really screwed up the last 3 test results. oh ya, and I'm headed out of town tomorrow for 2 days. Good thing the HTH Metal Control instructions say to keep the FC at low levels and wait a few days with normal pump routine before making any additional adjustments. My wife will turn the pump on for approx. 6 hours per day Tuesday and Wednesday. I will take and run a full spectrum Thursday evening; Wed night if I get home in time.

Thoughts? Gripes? Complaints? Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Re: Our first pool and first Taylor test results - iron issu

My personal thoughts on dealing with iron (I am on a well with a fair amount of iron). I have had two different Intex pools (15' x 36" & 18' & 48") as well as my current 18' x 33' AG permanent pool. I have always had issues with the iron 'rusting' in the water. I had a long conversation on the phone with a technical guy from a filter company that offered an 'iron' filter system. He said the best way to deal with the iron is to let it oxidize (rust) and filter it out of the water. Whenever I add a sifnificant amount of well water, I add a bunch of oxidizing shock (non-clorine shock), let the iron rust then run and clean the filter until the water is clear. Depending on your iron level, you may need to clean the filter every few hours of operation to start with.

When I had the Intex pools with 100% new water every spring, the pool would look like orange soda after shocking until the filter had a chance to remove the iron. After that it was clear water for the rest of the season with out having to deal with any of the 'metal out' products.

I would be interested in hearing other members solutions to iron problems.

Happy swimming,
Pete

Thanks PoolPete!
What make and model pump/filter are you using? The one that came with the pool is insufficient to deal with this specific issue. I've been juggling with the idea of buying the 1500gph sand filter that everyone seems to love.

Anyone have a suggestion for a filter that works best for removing iron? Thank you!

There are two forms of iron, iron grains and dissolved iron. A conventional filter can remove iron grains but will not remove dissolved iron. Iron grains are small bits of iron, which tend to come off of iron surfaces as they rust. They are common when the pool is filled from a fire hydrant and also present in well water in some area.

Occasionally sequestrant will cause dissolved iron to precipitate as iron grains that can be filtered out, but that is rare.

When I went through this with my Intex pools, I found that the filter that came with the pool to be adequate to filter out the rust particles - you just need to clean it often. A cartridge filter (in most cases) will filter smaller particles than a sand filter and are quicker to clean although take more effort. I used cartridge filters for both my Intex pools and am using one on my current pool.

Jason has a good point about different types of iron, I am assuming that my situation is dissolved iron because when I used a sequestering agent, it prevented the orange coloring when I used the oxidizing shock. If I shocked again a few weeks later with no more sequestering agent, it would turn orange.

I guess the bottom line is if your water has already turned 'rusty', just keep running and cleaning the filter until the water is clear.

Good luck,
Pete

A couple of years ago I had a intex blue ring pool with Ice tea looking well water... I used a cotton sock filled with cotton socks on the return line to catch the rust it worked.. cleared the pool up in a week..

As JasonLion says above, attempting to filter dissolved iron from a pool almost always is unsuccessful.

The success some report is usually iron particles.....not dissolved iron.

Dissolved iron in your pool can be "dealt" with through the constant application of sequestrants or replacing your pool water with new water that has no dissolved iron. That's a bit of an oversimplification but it is applicable in the VERY large majority of pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.