board unavailable and other errors

The server hardware failed a few minutes after 9 PM eastern time this evening, and was replaced and restarted around 10:30 PM eastern time. I am checking to see if anything was lost, but so far everything appears to have been recovered.

This is not related to any problems that might have happened earlier. There have previously been a few hiccups due to load (which is up dramatically over last year). Tonights problem was an unrelated hardware failure.

Today, the "Your posts" and "New posts by date" are saying they can't be used. I know this happens when the traffic is high, but it occurred more than once and for more than just 10 seconds or so and can be frustrating. I figure that new users might bail if the site is like this for minutes at a time. Is this just a matter of getting more capacity to handle peak loads or is something else going on?

Keep the problem reports coming, and one way or another this will get fixed eventually.

This is load related. Search, which powers both of those features, is one of the most resource intensive features on the forum. I has it's own separate load sensing trigger that cuts off search when the server is about to become overloaded. The idea is that search will stop working before the entire site shuts down, hopefully preventing a full shutdown from happening.

We had a hardware upgrade over the winter, but apparently I guessed wrong as usage has grown well beyond what I anticipated. I am hoping that by tuning the server settings just right, we can avoid needing another hardware update before next winter. It is not clear if that will actually work. Even though we seem to be getting by nearly all of the time, now and then things spike up and we overload the server.

The bottom line is that if this is an isolated incident, I will leave things the way they are. But if this repeats regularly I will go ahead and perform the hardware upgrade. In the meantime, I keep finding small adjustments to make to the setup that lets it handle the load just a little more gracefully. So I might be able to take care of it that way.

Just got the "Sorry but you cannot use search function at this time. Please try again in a few minutes." error at 7:29 CDT. I use the "view unread posts" function and had been on a couple hours when I got it. Lasted until 7:34 CDT.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just got the error pg. containing: "Too many connections [1040]"
It happened around 10:40am PST and persisted continually for at least several minutes.

Forum came back up within about 5 minutes, but the main topic categories wouldn't load. No error, just timing out. Although I didn't wait for the actual timeout 4xx/5xx message.

Then the same error happened again a bit later.

It sounds like this is a dedicated server, not a shared host. Yeah?

Edit: I'm curious, being an IT guy, what are the server specs and what have you been upgrading over the winter and possibly again soon?
That is if you don't mind me asking. :)

getting this on and off today...if I wait 30 minutes it is back. perhaps the BOARD is being overwhelmed ?

General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Same for me. Very slow or getting board unavailable messages. If this happens too often, new users will get frustrated, leave, and may never return. The absolute worst thing for a website is to be unavailable. Figure on at least 30% growth for next year, but why not just get over-capacity in anticipation? Is it possible to get additional capacity now for the rest of this season rather than wait until next year?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.