Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: board unavailable and other errors

1. Back To Top    #1

board unavailable and other errors

Today I'm getting a bunch of board unavailable and server not found errors. I got that the other day (Friday, I think), but it was brief. Is this just due to abnormally high traffic?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: board unavailable and other errors

I was just able to get in after a few hours of trying. The site would not open at all and I was getting server unavailable.
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

3. Back To Top    #3

It's been down for me the last hour and a half or so.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Got the same thing tonite for about an hour.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

The server hardware failed a few minutes after 9 PM eastern time this evening, and was replaced and restarted around 10:30 PM eastern time. I am checking to see if anything was lost, but so far everything appears to have been recovered.

This is not related to any problems that might have happened earlier. There have previously been a few hiccups due to load (which is up dramatically over last year). Tonights problem was an unrelated hardware failure.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for staying on top of things and for being able to get it back up relatively quickly.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

7. Back To Top    #7

You are awesome as always JasonLion! Thank you for all you do!!!
    Just bought a new house in the country, no pool yet. :(
    Hot tub..500 gals..bromine
    TF100 test kit and speedstir

8. Back To Top    #8

Today, the "Your posts" and "New posts by date" are saying they can't be used. I know this happens when the traffic is high, but it occurred more than once and for more than just 10 seconds or so and can be frustrating. I figure that new users might bail if the site is like this for minutes at a time. Is this just a matter of getting more capacity to handle peak loads or is something else going on?

9. Back To Top    #9

Keep the problem reports coming, and one way or another this will get fixed eventually.

This is load related. Search, which powers both of those features, is one of the most resource intensive features on the forum. I has it's own separate load sensing trigger that cuts off search when the server is about to become overloaded. The idea is that search will stop working before the entire site shuts down, hopefully preventing a full shutdown from happening.

We had a hardware upgrade over the winter, but apparently I guessed wrong as usage has grown well beyond what I anticipated. I am hoping that by tuning the server settings just right, we can avoid needing another hardware update before next winter. It is not clear if that will actually work. Even though we seem to be getting by nearly all of the time, now and then things spike up and we overload the server.

The bottom line is that if this is an isolated incident, I will leave things the way they are. But if this repeats regularly I will go ahead and perform the hardware upgrade. In the meantime, I keep finding small adjustments to make to the setup that lets it handle the load just a little more gracefully. So I might be able to take care of it that way.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Just got the "Sorry but you cannot use search function at this time. Please try again in a few minutes." error at 7:29 CDT. I use the "view unread posts" function and had been on a couple hours when I got it. Lasted until 7:34 CDT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Just got the error again. 11:14 CDT.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Just got the error pg. containing: "Too many connections [1040]"
    It happened around 10:40am PST and persisted continually for at least several minutes.

Forum came back up within about 5 minutes, but the main topic categories wouldn't load. No error, just timing out. Although I didn't wait for the actual timeout 4xx/5xx message.

Then the same error happened again a bit later.

It sounds like this is a dedicated server, not a shared host. Yeah?

Edit: I'm curious, being an IT guy, what are the server specs and what have you been upgrading over the winter and possibly again soon?
    That is if you don't mind me asking.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

13. Back To Top    #13

I got it for several minutes around 1331 EDT
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

14. Back To Top    #14

getting this on and off today...if I wait 30 minutes it is back. perhaps the BOARD is being overwhelmed ?

General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

15. Back To Top    #15

I've been getting denied access to search, and even got "This board has been disabled" messages.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

I just got the "can't use search" error. Lasted a couple of minutes.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I've been getting denied access to search, and even got "This board has been disabled" messages.
    Same for me on my iPhone.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

18. Back To Top    #18

I've had the "can't search now" and the disabled msgs.

This board is currently disabled.
    It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:55 pm
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

19. Back To Top    #19

Yep it was down again then back up....
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

20. Back To Top    #20

Same for me. Very slow or getting board unavailable messages. If this happens too often, new users will get frustrated, leave, and may never return. The absolute worst thing for a website is to be unavailable. Figure on at least 30% growth for next year, but why not just get over-capacity in anticipation? Is it possible to get additional capacity now for the rest of this season rather than wait until next year?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast