Pentair Intellichlor Sizing - can it be too big

May 2, 2013
Dallas area
Hello - We will be starting a new pool soon. The pool will be about 17000 gal. I know I need to oversize the swg but is there such a thing as overkill? The pb uses pentair equipment. They seem to oversize everything say it does not cost that much more. My question is should Ijust go with the biggest IC60 or should I go with the IC40? The pool is going to be just a pool, no spa and no control system for now.

Thank you,

Anthony

I recommend using a unit that is recommended for pools between 2 and 3 times larger than what you actually have. In this instance that means the IC40 is fine, but the IC60 is too large. There is no hard limit, the IC60 would work, but it becomes inconvenient due to secondary issues relating to being oversized.

Exactly, the percentage control isn't very fine. The larger the unit, the lower you want the setting, the less range you have to adjust relative to what you want. For example if you would normally be running the unit on 15% (because it is large) your only choices are 0% and 20%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.