Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Intellichlor Sizing - can it be too big

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Intellichlor Sizing - can it be too big

Hello - We will be starting a new pool soon. The pool will be about 17000 gal. I know I need to oversize the swg but is there such a thing as overkill? The pb uses pentair equipment. They seem to oversize everything say it does not cost that much more. My question is should Ijust go with the biggest IC60 or should I go with the IC40? The pool is going to be just a pool, no spa and no control system for now.

Thank you,

Anthony
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Intellichlor Sizing - can it be too big

I recommend using a unit that is recommended for pools between 2 and 3 times larger than what you actually have. In this instance that means the IC40 is fine, but the IC60 is too large. There is no hard limit, the IC60 would work, but it becomes inconvenient due to secondary issues relating to being oversized.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Jason - what would secondary issues be? I would think dialing it down enough. I think without a control, it's min percent is 20.
    Dallas area, free form, quartz finish, flagstone, pentair cartridge, vs pump, swg

4. Back To Top    #4

Exactly, the percentage control isn't very fine. The larger the unit, the lower you want the setting, the less range you have to adjust relative to what you want. For example if you would normally be running the unit on 15% (because it is large) your only choices are 0% and 20%
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School