Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I the first one to consider dumping my salt chlorinator?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I the first one to consider dumping my salt chlorinator?

Were on our 4th summer of swimming and Im sick of the problems the salt cell creates with my well water.

Current reading

Chlorine- 4
    PH-7.2
    TA- 120
    CA- 280- thats the fill water CA level.
    CYA-60

Nice right?
    Well the PH fluxes so much I have 2 issues- I get snow flakes in the pool. Looks dirty to all that swim or the PH is so low to keep the flakes out that the swimmer eyes burn for hours after.

My neighbor has no issues with his standard chlorinated pool.

Ideas before I just dump it?
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I the first one to consider dumping my salt chlorinat

Read up on borates, and the ability to buffer PH swings, it's helped me out tremendously.

so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

The key to simplifying life with a SWG is to lower the TA level. If your fill water TA level is fairly high and you have a lot of evaporation that is not always practical, but most of the time it works wonders.

We recommend TA be between 60 and 80 with a SWG.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks you!

My fill water TA is high.

Where I really see the trouble is when we have kids over and they splash around while the waterfalls run. The PH level gets so out of hand so quick.

Ill try the borates. Were adding so much acid that the TA will drop pretty fast.
    18,900 Stonescapes Tahoe Blue xtra black, 8 jet Spa, Pentair inteliflo VS , Pentair FNS 60 DE, Inteliclor40, Pentair 400,000 Mastertemp heater, 3 spillovers powered by a Pentair 1 HP whisperflo pump, The pool Cleaner, 2 Intellibright color changing lights and 400 sq ft. of Heliocol roof mounted solar.

5. Back To Top    #5

follow up- drained and filled. things are much better. Still a acid hog but eye issue are much less of an issue