Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: gotta chlorine problem

1. Back To Top    #1

gotta chlorine problem

Now bare with me. Ive been testing my water on my own for a lil while now with no issues. On Saturday I noticed it get just a little cloudy. It was a little low on chlorine.
    FC 2.5
    CC 1.5
    TA 120
    PH 7.5
    CYA 60

So i brought it up to shock about 25. Checked next day(Sunday) and it was FC 23.5 and the CC .5 Checked twice today to back up my reading. The first time it was FC 8.5 and CC 1.5 and then FC 10 and CC 1. I am not doing anything different. Use the same amount of powder etc.........I cant believe that I would lose that much chlorine. I can see the bottom. Theres no dirt or anything in the pool. Its just a little hazy. Really no different than the way it was when I was dealing with the pool store. But ive had it crystal clear and im, not sure whats goin on. Need some help
    32k gallon Inground lazy L with Vinyl Liner. Pentair Superflo 1.5hp pump with a sand filter. Liquid Chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: gotta chlorine problem

Your test results tell us that you need to follow the shock process in Pool School. Link in my sig.

Post back with any q's and we'll help.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Sack
    Now bare with me. Ive been testing my water on my own for a lil while now with no issues. On Saturday I noticed it get just a little cloudy. It was a little low on chlorine.
    FC 2.5
    CC 1.5
    TA 120
    PH 7.5
    CYA 60

So i brought it up to shock about 25. Checked next day(Sunday) and it was FC 23.5 and the CC .5 Checked twice today to back up my reading. The first time it was FC 8.5 and CC 1.5 and then FC 10 and CC 1. I am not doing anything different. Use the same amount of powder etc.........I cant believe that I would lose that much chlorine. I can see the bottom. Theres no dirt or anything in the pool. Its just a little hazy. Really no different than the way it was when I was dealing with the pool store. But ive had it crystal clear and im, not sure whats goin on. Need some help
    The cure is the shock process.

The cause is low chlorine for your CYA level. It should never dip below 5.

To prevent it happening again, aim a little higher on the target to pad the FC. Then if you get an exceptionally hot day and/or a bunch of swimmers, you have that cushion to keep FC up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I have followed the shock process. I am aware I let the chlorine dip thats why I shocked it when the CC was high. Yesterday the readings were fine and today its back down.. It did get fairly warm today though.
    32k gallon Inground lazy L with Vinyl Liner. Pentair Superflo 1.5hp pump with a sand filter. Liquid Chlorine

5. Back To Top    #5

I would do a OCLT tonight and see where you are at.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

So my chlorine readings are inconsistant. I was trying to bring my chlorine level up to shock again last night. Before I did so FC was 16.5 and CC 1 I added 4 gallons of chlorox which according to the chart should have brought it up to 26. The pool circulated for 3 1/2 hours and i tried to check before bed. The reading was way to high so I never got a reading. Is that enough time to circulate before checking? Got up this morning and checked it and the FC 35 and CC .5. Im not sure what im doing wrong if anything. Im at a loss. Have not had this issue till now. Im almost out of powder but I ordered some yesterday. I get the sample from the same spot each time. i also use the quick stir. Dumb question but I fill to the 10 spot and then drop the stir in. Is that the correct way since it raises the level a but?

7. Back To Top    #7

So my chlorine readings are inconsistant. I was trying to bring my chlorine level up to shock again last night. Before I did so FC was 16.5 and CC 1 I added 4 gallons of chlorox which according to the chart should have brought it up to 26. The pool circulated for 3 1/2 hours and i tried to check before bed. The reading was way to high so I never got a reading. Is that enough time to circulate before checking? Got up this morning and checked it and the FC 35 and CC .5. Im not sure what im doing wrong if anything. Im at a loss. Have not had this issue till now. Im almost out of powder but I ordered some yesterday. I get the sample from the same spot each time. i also use the quick stir. Dumb question but I fill to the 10 spot and then drop the stir in. Is that the correct way since it raises the level a but?
    Yes, the testing procedure is correct. Measure, then stirbar.

Doublecheck the poolcalculator. Make sure the gallons didn't go back to default and/or you mistakenly selected 6% instead of 8.25% for the chlorine. That would mess you up.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yea I double checked and its correct. Im at a loss and not sure what to do next

9. Back To Top    #9

Yea I double checked and its correct. Im at a loss and not sure what to do next
    Wait.

FC will come down on its own, and fairly rapidly, since it's a percentage, not a fixed PPM.

When you do the FAS-DPD test, don't skimp on the powder. Two scoops may be too much, but there should be one or two undissolved granules in the pink water begore you start counting drops. They'll disappear. Too little powder can give a false low reading.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok thank you. im gonna check again tonight

11. Back To Top    #11

Just checked it tonight

FC 14
    CC 1

Is the drop too rapid from the readings this morning? The water is still pretty clear. I just cant seem to get accurate readings of late.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just checked it tonight

FC 14
    CC 1

Is the drop too rapid from the readings this morning? The water is still pretty clear. I just cant seem to get accurate readings of late.
    You lose chlorine faster at higher concentrations. And the presence of CC tells us that something is still growing in there, which also uses up FC. Keep at it. If it's clear, you're getting close.

13. Back To Top    #13

Checked this morning before work
    FC 10
    CC .5

When I checked last night it was about 6pm and still had several hours of direct sun.

14. Back To Top    #14

Checked this morning before work
    FC 10
    CC .5

When I checked last night it was about 6pm and still had several hours of direct sun.
    Try the OCLT again. How's it looking? Does it sparkle yet?

15. Back To Top    #15

the water is pretty clear. It was only a lil cloudy to begin with.. I have to wait for more of the powder to come in tomorrow.