a BIG thank you no more algea 1 more ? though

hd1080

May 1, 2013
To everyone on this forum. Thank you so much. And to anyone having doubts.. listen to these people. My pool was closed green and opened dark green(could not see walls or bottom). I read and understood the shock process and learned more on this site then in the last 7 years anywhere else. It was always a guessing game. After 2 1/2 weeks and 19 bottles of bleach and near the end after passing my overnight fc drop change I used 1 bottle of clarifier and the kids were in the pool.

Believe me there were many times I just wanted to go to the store with a sample... only because that's all I knew..

So here is my question. I now know that no or low FC causes algea and without throwing tablets in the pool how much can one expect to add bleach to the pool. My CYA is 25 and it seems like I go from FC-4 to FC-1 to 2 everyday. I am now super nervous and use the small test kit everyday for FC, which I think you guys suggest. I get full sun all day and I was wondering if I up my CYA willthe FC last longer because the chart calls for a higher dose or is it relative to a lower CYA and it is normal with this method to add bleach everyday. I read the full sun should have higher CYA. Does the CYA break down over the summer or is it pretty stable. Just not used to having to add something to the pool everyday.. but this method is cheaper easier and only takes 5 mins. The pool calculator usually calls for 1 quart and 2 cups of bleach or similar to that and just wondering if this is normal. Pool is clear and my wife was even impressed she doubted this process...

My kids thank you too..

hd1080 said:
Does the CYA break down over the summer or is it pretty stable.
It stays stable and only leaves with draining, splashout or leaks. I would raise yours up to at least 40 ppm (and up your FC target appropriately to 7 ppm per poolcalculator.com) and see if that helps.

Ok I will up the CYA to 40 and my fc accordingly. But to the former chlorine tablet user , we test the fc everyday, but is it normal to add bleach everyday? I know each pool is different but on average? Also how do
you all deal vacations or time away. Based on how much the fc dissipates it will need to be replenished daily. Will getting it up to the shock level be good for a week or can we cheat and use "Tablets"and the floater..

Thanks and sorry I used the "T" word...

hd1080 said:
Ok I will up the CYA to 40 and my fc accordingly. But to the former chlorine tablet user , we test the fc everyday, but is it normal to add bleach everyday? I know each pool is different but on average? Also how do
you all deal vacations or time away. Based on how much the fc dissipates it will need to be replenished daily. Will getting it up to the shock level be good for a week or can we cheat and use "Tablets"and the floater..

Thanks and sorry I used the "T" word...
Pretty much add bleach everyday.

Tablets in a floater are commonly used on vacations. We don't care where the FC comes from, as long as it doesn't mess other things up. Trichlor can quickly jack CYA and mess with pH if someone doesn't understand what's going on. Understanding is what we preach here, as well as cheap and simple. Sometimes pucks or powders are just the ticket, as long as you know what you're doing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.