Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex Sand Pump w/ Salt Filter problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex Sand Pump w/ Salt Filter problem

I recently purchased an intex sand pump with salt (#56681). It is the pump with 2650 gph. After having it filtering for 2 days with salt on, i noticed my copper electrode (part #24 on the reference diagram) is turning black. Has anyone experienced this? i do have hard water, could that be causing this? And should i clean it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex Sand Pump w/ Salt Filter problem

Welcome to tfp, NJIntexNaCl

We recommend that you unplug the copper electrode, since it puts you at risk for stains and can turn blond hair green. Just unplug the wire going to it.

Also, for others reading this, I recommend not getting the combined swg/filter/pump system since they never fail at the same time.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Will this cause error codes on my pump? and my saltwater system will still work, correct?

4. Back To Top    #4

I should not cause errors to unplug the copper (I have the stand alone intex swg and it works great with the copper disconnected) and the saltwater system (saltwater chlorine generater or swg) will still make chlorine...which is what you need (not copper).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

in the case that i do leave it plugged in, should i clean it with vinegar?

6. Back To Top    #6

Do you mean the copper? I wouldn't worry about cleaning it, mine is black too.

How do the plates on the generator look (they are silver in color and really thin)?

7. Back To Top    #7

The titanium things? by the outlet?

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes they are titanium and they should be at the outlet of the filter.