Doughboy Pool Package

Sapo

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 3, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Hello everyone

Noobie hear grateful this forum. I just put a deposit down on 28' ROUND AGP
18K gallons plus . Hayward PowerFlo Matrix X 1.5 hp Pump and Hayward EC50AC Perflex DE Filter.
Being in Calif. My concern is power consumption from the single speed pump?
Has anyone had experience with EcoPumps? they claim they are #1 in power efficiency ,energy star rated, CA title 20 complaint. etc..

Welcome to tfp, Sapo :wave:

The filter you have chosen is small for your pool. We would recommend a minimum 50 sq. ft. de filter for your pool...but since you can bump this filter, you may be able to get by with the one you listed.

Which Matrix pump are you getting? We would strongly recommend a 2-speed.

Sapo said:
Has anyone had experience with EcoPumps? they claim they are #1 in power efficiency ,energy star rated, CA title 20 complaint. etc..
I would probably pass on the Ecopumps...see this thread here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/ecopump-info-or-best-ee-pump-t43812.html

Hey Linen

I just finished talking to my pool rep. you sold me the pool explaining my wishes to get out of single speed pump they sold me.
I suggested the the Hayward ECO Star not knowing my Doughboy will only accept 1.5 outlet piping. While everything out there it seems has 2in.
So, they suggested the Hayward Super Pump 2 speed for extra fee not going to post $$$. Anyway, I reluctantly went along.
Until... I found this today new Hayward Super Pump VS. A mini version of the large ECO Star. Variable speeds new permanent motor design and
1.5 outlets that I need for my new pool. My Pool Rep. had no clue? I had to dig up the SKU# for them to see if they could get for me.
I'll post when they get back to me. I appreciate any feed back.

That superpump vs is pretty new, so it is not surprising they have not heard of it. It is a very expensive pump (almost 3 times) compared to the 1 hp 2-speed matrix that should fine for your pool. Also, keep in mind that the superpump vs requires 220 volts verses 120 for the matrix. Lastly, that pump is new, so we have not heard much news good or bad about it yet.

I'm running 220 out to the yard. VS pump lists for quite a bit less than 2hp ECO and since that model from what I can gather is holding up well I should be fine going with it I hope. Thanks again for walking me thru this process.

Sapo said:
Are you referring to the Hayward Ecostar (I thought originally you were referring to the Ecopumps which is a different company)? The Ecostar pump is overkill for your pool, though you can turn it down enough that it will work.

If I was buying a pump for your pool I would chose the Matrix 1 hp 2-speed well before I would choose either the superpump vs or the ecostar vs. If I was going to chose a vs, then I would still choose the superpump vs over the ecostar vs since it is better sized to your pool.

What are your electrical rates?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your water level will be above the pump, then it doesn't matter...but yes I believe the matrix is self-priming.

It is 115 out of the box...I am not sure if it supports 220 internally. If you wiring is large enough and if you have separate neutral brought out to your connection, I think you can use just one leg and run the pump at 115. Since this is a new install, you should be fine unless the wiring is already in place.

I am not, but that doesn't mean it might not be right for you. This is what mas985 says about it in the hydraulics101 thread:
mas985 said:
Which filter is best for you depends on your situation:

Cartridge Filters: Most energy efficient and don't require back-washing. Best suited for areas with water restriction, high electrical rates and/or pools that use a SWG.

Sand Filters: Easiest for algae clean up. Best suited for areas where the pool is closed for the winter and/or high algae potential.

DE Filters: Best filtration. Best suited for owners that really want their water to be as clean as possible.
I have not worked with DE filters (but my water is crystal clear), but I have a sand on my pool and a cartridge on my hot tub. I do not like cleaning the cart, but backwashing the sand filter is a breeze for me. I am a swg user, that closes for the winter, humid climate during the hot part of the swimming season, and does not have issues with water restrictions (I use a residential private well that has iron, high TA, high CH) nor issues with where to put the backwash water.

I have the same DE filter plumbed with the "matching" 1.5 HP pump and it have plenty of flow... maybe too much for my 21 Round.

I would like to have a two speed to be able to run it longer with less flow to improve skimming but as it is now, I only need to filter for an hour or two per day during the normal season. I am considering adding a Pool Skim to improve skimming and allow skimming while the Aquabug is cleaning the floor (since it disables the skimmer when in use)

Just saw your "bump" question. It is exceedingly effective as saving your DE. Since I have had the pool (about 9 years) I have only had this filter and it works GREAT! when the pool is being maintained. If I let it get green, it requires some extra attention. What I mean is, with a sand filter, you run the pump for several hours (24/7?) and it eventually gets most of the debris out of the water (low effort/low cost/long time to clear), you never need to replace the filter media/sand. A cartridge, will filter almost as well as DE but the media/filter needs to be replaced at significant cost (some a several hundred $$ each and have multiple filters) (faster and better than sand, can be fast or slow dependent on media quality, cost can be high is need new media).

When I have a bunch of junk in the pool, I can only run the filter for an hour or two and then I need to "bump" the DE. Then I can filter for another 2 hours. I repeat this process until the pool is crystal clear or the filter plugs up in 30 minutes or less. I can "bump along" for a month or two. When the filter pressure rises above 20 PSI, in less than 30 minutes of run time, the filter media (DE or cellulose) needs to be changed. I open my filter and change the media and rinse the "fingers" in about 30 minutes. The new DE/Cellulose media is less than $5 each time I change it. When the pool is clean and maintained correctly, the filter will last about a month or two (with bumping) depending on how much junk floats in and how many people use the pool. I have a large debris load from the crepe myrtle blooms, lots of kids, floating bugs (honey bees) and the dog. I change the media once or twice a summer (May-October) after I get things straightened out at the beginning of the season.

As for water, I don't do any back washing to waste. i don't even have a drain piped.

All I do is refill the pool due to evaporation and splashing.

Sapo, Can you fill in as much as you can in your profile and signature?
Where you are at and what you have can make a big difference in recommendations. CA is a big state with lots of different regions.

Hey Guy
Thanks for sharing your setup with me. That's a very similar package to what I ordered. But , before everything arrives I want to make a order change
Want to move up to 2 speed and change to a XStream cartridge system. Less water usage(meter) no backwashing and don't have deal DE material (carcinogens) small child
and I think less electricity too. I'm very excited how getting our first pool. I was all set to install 240v out to the backyard but now Lesile's is telling it not necessary. That
going to save me alot of money. If I'm lucky I'll be swimming Father's Day! Now selecting which horsepower to get I might be able to get by with 3/4 what do you think?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.