Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying ants?

1. Back To Top    #1

Flying ants?

Hey all, last night a thunderstorm came upon us rather quickly. We were kind of in a rush to get out of he pool and left 3 of those swim ways rafts in the pool overnight. This morning more storms came through and now it has cleared up. The rafts were covered with those big ants with wings. Just wondering if other folks in the south have this? Was it because of the storms or is it just something that happens overnight. I would hate to be swimming late at night and get swarmed by these things. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan
    23k gal, IG, vinyl, Pentair sand filter, 1 hp single speed pump, pool pilot digital swg, Hayward sharkvac. Built May 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flying ants?

My neighbors have a lot of trees and I think they blow in / down from those. It seems to be heavy for a while then they go away. I went out one morning and they were all huddled up on the vacuum hose playing king of the hill trying to stay out of the salt water. They seem to have dwindled a lot so far for me.
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

3. Back To Top    #3

My pool gets them too especially after a rain or a bad storm. Dad called them wood ants.
    \And they bite and leave welts
    20 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    Sand filter with SWG attached.
    Deck added on (05/18/2013)
    Thinking about adding more deck
    Pool steps added in - (got rid of that crappy ladder that came with Intex pool) 05/18/2013.

"A little bit of paradise in our yard"

4. Back To Top    #4

I have heard them called "Drone" ants and today we have hundreds of them swimming in our pool. I just spent 30 minutes with the net ushering most of them into the skimmer baskets. We had 1-2 inches of rainfall early yesterday morning and for some reason, that seems to bring them around. What a nuisance! We want to go for a swim later, but will probably end up spending even more time skimming them off the pool first. If anyone has a solution to keeping these dumb drones away, I would love to hear it!!
    26,000 gal outdoor inground 21x36 plaster (pebbletec) pool plus 7 ft spa w/spillover
    Challenger 2 hp pump; MasterTemp (Pentair) natural gas heater (400,000 BTU)
    Pentair (Clean and Clear Plus) cartridge filter (420 sq. ft)

5. Back To Top    #5

me too, TanyaK140. I want to get rid of them.
    20 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    Sand filter with SWG attached.
    Deck added on (05/18/2013)
    Thinking about adding more deck
    Pool steps added in - (got rid of that crappy ladder that came with Intex pool) 05/18/2013.

"A little bit of paradise in our yard"

6. Back To Top    #6

Same problem here in north Louisiana. We noticed after a quick rain a couple days ago, the ants would fall out of the trees when a nice little gust of wind would blow by.

I'm not aware of any way to prevent this though, other than keeping the pool cover on while not in use. Maybe keep the skimmer handy while swimming to grab any that dive in.
    16x36 IG vinyl with Hayward S244T Sand filter, 1.5HP Jacuzzi Magnum Force, Polaris 380 Cleaner with booster pump

7. Back To Top    #7

We started getting them this weekend, too, here in South Florida. It happens every year in late Spring or early Summer for a few days. I don't know if it's the temperature or the rain that brings them out, but those flying ants are pretty reliable!
    Alan
    Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

8. Back To Top    #8

we get them in austin tx. They also bite. We have had them for about the last week. We also had them last may. Rain recently took the water level above the skimmers so we werent getting rid of them. Water level finally evaporated so the skimmers are clearing them out.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

9. Back To Top    #9

We got these in North Fort Worth, TX also... Shortly after a rain.

What I'm concerned about is my filter now. Looks like these guys are small enough to make it through the baskets. Think I'll need to clean out the big boy filter this weekend now.
    23x34' IG freeform play pool (18,850 gallon) ~ 7' spa raised 18" with 6 jets and 5 tier waterfall ~ IntelliChlor SCG ~ Pentair Intelligent VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter ~ Easy touch controller ~ Blue Granite Pebble Sheen ~ Intellibrite LEDs ~ Turbo twister slide ~ 8x8 flagstone tanning ledge with umbrella sleeve and bubbler ~ In-pool flagstone table with umbrella sleeve ~ 947 sq ft exposed aggregate decking

10. Back To Top    #10

Yep, we get the ants as well. I just make sure to net them out and clean the skimmer more frequently. Have not been a problem yet.

11. Back To Top    #11

Hello, i am in South Carolina and we have those biting little buggers. Last night we fogged before going for a swim but right after that it came up a fast windy storm so cant say it the fogging worked but I will let you know next time we fog if it helps. I am thinking it should since they are flying and it is a fog for flying insects, keeping fingers crossed!!
    27' Swim n Play Mystic II 52" Extruded Resin 17,200 gallons
    Hayward E series high rate sand pump
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

12. Back To Top    #12

I live south of Chicago, IL and we had them either last year or the year before. From what my lawn guy told me, the come out of the ground once a year to mate. Ours happened after a rain also and it was like a plague outside. You couldn't even be out there because there were flying ants everywhere. Took me days to get them out of my pool.
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

We had a big rainstorm on Memorial day down here in West Texas. myself and another pool owner live 30 miles away from each other. We both had the same blasted bugs in our pools.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, seeing that this thread is from June 2013 I guess it's a yearly thing. We have had them for a couple of weeks.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

15. Back To Top    #15

We fogged again last night and hopefully we have found the trick to keeping them out of pool area while we are!! after I removed the ones from pool and we fogged , I didn't see anymore, got to go buy some more fog medicine!!
    27' Swim n Play Mystic II 52" Extruded Resin 17,200 gallons
    Hayward E series high rate sand pump
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    Saltron Retro SWG
    Hayward Aqua Critter

16. Back To Top    #16

Just a note from California since you all seem to be in the South. We had a ~1-day swarm of them here as well. Not as many as it sounds like some of you get and it lasted less than two days. I don't remember seeing them last year, at least not in any significant numbers. This time there were dozens and dozens (not quite hundreds, I'd say) all over the pool.
    ~15.3K gal, IG plaster c.2006, Hayward 1.5 HP 2-speed, 425 sqft cartridge filter, 1 skimmer, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, TF-100

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyAle View Post
    We got these in North Fort Worth, TX also... Shortly after a rain.

What I'm concerned about is my filter now. Looks like these guys are small enough to make it through the baskets. Think I'll need to clean out the big boy filter this weekend now.
    Skimmer socks may be a help for you. If the skimmer is not too large you can use Knee-Hi stockings.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

18. Back To Top    #18

I've got them now too!!! Ugh. Every time I look in the pool , there's another one and I have NO IDEA where they are coming from!!!
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

19. Back To Top    #19

Termites swarm too. You have to look closely at them to tell the difference.

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

20. Back To Top    #20

Of course that's the first thing I thought when I saw them because my neighbor had termites not too long ago. There are enough of them that I was able to examine several of them closely enough to tell that they are just flying ants (THANK GOD!) but I have NO IDEA where they are coming from. I can stand there for 10 minutes staring at the air over the pool and never see a single flying ant, then look at the pool and all of a sudden theres like 5 on the surface lol.
    14K Freeform Gunite w/60% Blue Quartz plaster, Quad DE filter, Intelliflo VS Pump + Booster for Cleaner, Aquacal Heat Pump

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast