Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trick to removing impeller from shaft seal?!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Indianapolis, Indiana

Trick to removing impeller from shaft seal?!!

We are endeavoring to replace our pool pump motor ourselves but cannot get the impeller off of the old pump. Is there a trick to this? We are holding the shaft end in place while trying to turn the impeller to the right to "untwist" it. However, we can't seem to get a good enough hold on the impeller to put a lot of strength into the turning of it without putting too much stress on the impeller...I'm thinking that we don't want to hurt the impeller...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!
    40,000 gal IG w/vinyl liner, 300 sq ft cartridge filter, Dura-Glas II pump w/1 hp motor, Heat Siphon heat pump, IntelliChlor swg, Paramount Floor Cleaning System, Automatic Pool Cover

2. Back To Top    #2
    I like to use a strap wrench. It is gentle on the impeller but sometimes they are virtually welded on there.

Good luck with it.

3. Back To Top    #3

Round Rock, TX
    Honestly I took mine to the pool shop and they removed it for me.

While there I bought the new shaft seal from them.

I then took it home and put the new motor on it and got it all up and running.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

4. Back To Top    #4
    The impeller turns to the left not to the right. If there is a screw in the impeller that turns to the right to loosen. So that is the problem.

5. Back To Top    #5
    My impeller removed itself when the pump found out I abandoned it and ordered a new energy efficient one. The day after I placed my order, the impeller broke/burned right off the shaft. I don't suggest this method as my new pump is still on its week-long journey accross the country.
    19,000 vinyl pool, solar heat, .75 hp tristar, 48 sq ft de filter