Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: first day of BBB

1. Back To Top    #1

first day of BBB

I got my TF100 just now. had drained 65% of water over weekend, refilled. ran pump most of weekend
    water is beautiful of course!
    numbers:

FC = 0
    CC = <.5
    TA = 170
    PH = 7.2
    CYA = 20 (was 111)

i added 80 oz of 12% liquid chlorine just now.
    will re check FC levels in an hour. shooting for 4ppm FC

I guess not worry with TA just yet?
    did not mess with CH yet, its vinyl anyway.

any words of wisdom this early in the game??
    27" round AG (vinyl)
    17,000 gal
    WaterWay 22" sand filter
    1.5 hp pump
    new zeobrite sand this year(100 lbs)
    pool rover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first day of BBB

Is the water perfectly clear? No sign of algae or cloudiness?

I would suggest raising the FC up toward 10ppm and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to confirm there is nothing in the water and then just maintain adequate FC.

Although, you likely will want to raise the CYA up to 30-40ppm so you lose less to the sun.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

65% drain/refill should have only dropped you to ~ 40 ppm cya, although I am sure your 111 was not accurate...how did you test cya before the drain/refill and after drain/refill?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Linen: the CYA was done at pool store friday, had no option as I was draining it. was 111 by their test, I just tested with TF100 to get the 20 ppm.
    I know I am light on CYA now. how would you add more? dry w/sock or?
    just tested it at about 1 ppm on FC. I think I will shock it since CC is not zero, i feel something is lurking in there myself.

water is great, here is pic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    27" round AG (vinyl)
    17,000 gal
    WaterWay 22" sand filter
    1.5 hp pump
    new zeobrite sand this year(100 lbs)
    pool rover

5. Back To Top    #5

Yours is a great example where waiting for the kit may have paid off...since your cya was likely ~ 60 ppm then and you might have been fine without the drain/refill...oh well live and learn

As to adding more back, I would do the OCLT that jbliz mentioned first, then if you pass (and if your CC<0.5), bring it up to the tfp recommended level of 30-50 ppm cya.

Pool does look good, but don't let that fool you...it can and that is why there are three end of shocking criteria to be passed simultaneously.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.