Intex Pool 15x48 -- Pump Question

Oct 15, 2012
Southern KS
I've been lurking around this forum for QUITE some time, and I'm loving it! Here's where I'm at.....
I'm a new pool owner (only 2nd season of owning). And I have an Intex metal frame 15x48 round pool (5000 - 5300 gallons). I've had numerous troubles with patching holes last year, so I'm actually going to try the method described in this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/inst...=installing replacement liner inside of intex, which I'm pretty excited about because I'm not having to buy a whole new pool or completely new Intex liner.

Anyway, in all my research, I've come across so many different philosophies on which filter pump to buy, and whether my current one (Krystal Clear Model 603 Filter Pump - very old) is under-powered. So, keeping in mind that I really am on a restricted budget (new baby on the way any day), as well as I'm ok with staying with a filter pumper rather than sand, I'm asking 2 main questions:

1.) Is this pump sufficient?
2.) If not, what would you all recommend that won't break the bank?

Thank you all for your patience!

Eric

I have the same pool. And i think the same pump,but i also use a small 530gph intex pump

From my experience the pump is a bit undersized,especially if u have a algea problem like i did.

Anyways i ordered 2650gph intex sand filter from amazon for i think $152

Welcome to tfp, Musmin2415 :wave:

Musmin2415 said:
1.) Is this pump sufficient?
It sounds like it has been working for you? The intex cartridge pumps are almost useless, and that one is very small...but many people are able to make them work although they are definitely not Trouble Free.

Musmin2415 said:
.) If not, what would you all recommend that won't break the bank?
Again, it is up to you...but the 2650 gph intex sand filter is working for many people on here. For your pool size, you could also look at the 1600 gph intex sand filter, though the cost savings over the 2650 is usually minimal.

Thank you both SO MUCH for the quick response!

It's really hard to say that it's been working for me. Here's why.....

Last season as I said was my first season as a pool owner. Near the end of the summer, I was having so many issues with cloudy water! I was shocking the Crud out of it and following the instructions of one of the local pool stores after taking in some of my water for testing. Still nothing. Until one afternoon I was cleaning out the bottom of the pool with this vacuum that I rigged up myself, and I was also going under water looking for blasted leaks that I could never find. After I ran out of breath at point and came to the surface for some air, I felt a presence right next to my head. I looked immediately to my right and a flipping duck was RIGHT NEXT TO ME! I had seen 2 or 3 ducks in the neighborhood, but NEVER in my pool. After that day, I started paying more attention and noticed the same duck would always camp out in my pool. I'd go out, chase him away, and then watch as he'd circle up in the air, around my house, and land right back in my pool. So, it was at that point that I realized that duck had been crapping in my pool for I don't know how many weeks. It was awesome....

So, that's why I can't tell whether it's been working or not. I'm not sure any pump could triumph over daily duck Crud. I DO know that earlier in the summer I was cleaning out the cartridge filter a few times a week.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with sand filters, so I'll head over to that section and start reading up. Hopefully the upkeep isn't a financial sink-hole. I want to keep it clean & clear, but like I said, I HAVE to do it on a budget. Thanks again! Ya'll are awesome.

Found a 2650 for $175 - nothing cheaper yet! (Hopefully that's not bad)

Oh, and one more thing. Will I need to purchase any adapters or anything like that? Remember, as I mentioned above, I'm rigging this thing up along the same lines as that link I provided --- buying an overlapping pool liner, fastening it down, the 'return' is coming up over the side, and then I'm cutting a hole in the side (over where the original intake was) and placing the skimmer there. Y'all make think that's redneck (lol) but I liked the pictures & reviews I saw!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright, so I ordered the pump, and am pretty stoked to get everything. The only thing I haven't found is the sand that I'm supposed to use. I know that I need the #20 silica sand (and I've read horror stories about the quikcrete brand), but I've found some online for $30+ a bag, and then I've read that a 50lb bag shouldn't be more than $12. Anyway, I'd be interested to know what brand to use.

And on a side note, I've been reading up on the BBB method of pool care, and I DIG IT!!! I hope this method works!! I'm wondering though, if you open your pool with store-bought pool chemicals, can you switch over to the BBB method at any time?

Musmin2415 said:
And on a side note, I've been reading up on the BBB method of pool care, and I DIG IT!!! I hope this method works!!
It has and does work for those ~47000 tfp members (and tons of lurkers) and counting that have followed the methods on here.

Musmin2415 said:
I'm wondering though, if you open your pool with store-bought pool chemicals, can you switch over to the BBB method at any time?
Any time. Probably the single biggest issue folks have in switching is too high of cya to start and require a partial drain/refill.

Man, the 2650 sand filter is down to $123.04! I just bought ours not even 2 weeks ago and paid $152 which I thought was a deal at the time. Should have waited! :evil:

Anyway, after only running this for a little over a week it has been a HUGE improvement over the stock cartridge filter. I can't believe the power behind this thing! I got #20 silica sand at our local Leslie's pool store. I think it was around $8/50lb bag. I had read some people needing a little more than 100lbs, but we didn't quite empty the second bag before we were up to the max line, so we still have a few lbs left.

Good luck! The sand filter is soooo worth it! I really want to do the wall skimmer mod too, but just afraid of plunging a knife through the liner!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.