Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater leaking ... is it safe to try to fire it up?

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater leaking ... is it safe to try to fire it up?

Our Teledyne-Laars gas heater is suddenly leaking water (not too bad), and DD's pool party is on Friday! I haven't started the gas flowing to it yet, because we've had unseasonably cold weather. Repair people might make it here by Thursday, might not ... do I dare trying to turn it on? Are there big risks to firing it up and running it while it's leaking?
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater leaking ... is it safe to try to fire it up?

It all depends on where it's leaking from and how bad. If it's leaking water and dripping down on the burners or pilot if you have one, it might not fire up very well.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't tell where the leak is coming from. I could try to fire it up and see if it's leaking on the burners/pilot. Is that safe? To try?
    -----------------------------------
    26000 gal, in-ground, vinyl pool
    Hayward S200 sand filter, 1 skimmer, 2 returns
    BBB since the first month! :-)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would say try to see inside where it's leaking from. If you fired it up and it's leaking on the burners it will either not burn correctly or not fire up at all. I don't see it as being a huge problem as long as you are ready to shut it off should it nor fire all burners.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,