Little Blue Scoop with the TF-100

The smallest measuring spoon I have around is 1/8 of a teaspoon. I would guess that it would take about 20-30 level scoops of the little blue scoop to equal the 1/8 teaspoon. I'd have to go with a pinch!

Just for fun (yes I am a bit weird) the scoop holds 1/2 of a BB or 6 #9 shotgun pellets.

This is my second summer learning the ropes of pool care.. The first year was a big flop.. we closed it green because I gave up.
I purchased the 6 way walmart tester last year and it had all the hardware ..other than a fancy plastic case. I just purchased the refill tf100. trying to save some money. I received it today and I realized I don't have the cute little scoop... if I had known I would have purchased one for 15cents and had it included with the S/H cost. Now it seems foolish to buy a 15cent scoop and pay for shipping :roll:
TA 120
PH 7.5
CH 330
CYA 0
I didn't test for CYA or chlorine with new test kit . I could clearly see the black dot filled to the top with walmart brand and pool store gave me the same reading today. Putting in Stabilizer tonight.
After 12 gallons of 10% Chlorine in 1 weeks time,seeing minimal improvement of my green swamp

If you really have zero CYA then you're shock process is losing ground to the sun. Since you're putting stabilizer in there I think you'll start seeing marked inprovement.

Since you don't have a scoop for the FAS-DPD test you can take a very small handled plastic spoon or the very tip of an popcicle stick an use the tip of the handle or end to scoop up the smallest amount of powder (R=0870) you can and use that.

Call Dave, he might stick one in an envelope so the shipping won't be an issue.

The measurement doesn't have to be exact? OK thank you so much. With the Algae and the sun eating up the chlorine.. I was getting no where. Now I bought a bottle of Algicil Algaecide 60% poly ethylene? and 4 bags of powdered shock.. with 8 more gallons of 10% Chlorine. Should I use the Algaecide and the shock since it's been so long green?? .

No. Algaecide is not needed ... you just need to maintain higher levels of FC and follow the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS.

Add enough CYA to target 20-30ppm, lower the pH to the lower 7s and then start the shock process.

What are the bags of shock? They will either add calcium (which you do not need) or stabilizer (which you need to be careful you do not raise too high).

wmorge said:
The measurement doesn't have to be exact? OK thank you so much. With the Algae and the sun eating up the chlorine.. I was getting no where. Now I bought a bottle of Algicil Algaecide 60% poly ethylene? and 4 bags of powdered shock.. with 8 more gallons of 10% Chlorine. Should I use the Algaecide and the shock since it's been so long green?? .
What kind of 'shock" did they sell you? If it's di-chlor, have at it. It will raise FC and CYA quickly, so be sure to use the pool calculator so you don't overdose. If it's Cal-hypo, look out - your Calcium is already good. If it's something else, well...just read the label and post again. Pleeeeeeease don't come back and say you already dumped it in and threw the bag away already. That scenario's getting old around here. :cry:

Save the Algaecide for winter. It's better as a preventative than as a killer. Sort of like how lysol is great for killing germs before someone gets sick, but useless to cure the cold once they have it. It might keep it from spreading, but it does nothing to make it go away.

No I haven't put the powdered shock in.. Yes it's Cal/hypo 68% Is this stuff good for anything? lol I bought 4 bags.. I will take them back. I just put 4 lbs of cya in long tube sock and place it in my skimmer basket and nothing else added to the water.. Other than the 12 Gal Chlorine Ive put in since last Monday on opening the pool. :roll: I've got 10 gal Chlorine ready to be put in but don't want to jump the gun until that stabilizer dissolves a little.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would take the Cal-hypo back if you can.

The 4 lbs is only going to add about 21ppm of CYA ... give the sock a few squeezes every time you walk by. You could hang it in front of the return jet instead of in the skimmer.

I will return them in exchange for 4 gallons of 10 % Chlorine at Rural King. Same cost! It's on sale for $9.95 FYI for anyone in the midwest near a Rural King. The stabilizer dissolved very quickly with a few good squeezes and dragging it around the pool now hopefully I can see some results. I just put in 2.5 gal. 1 hr ago.. off to go test.

Nita

Good Morning.. It's 7a . I went to bed at 11p after I brought back up to shock (16) Now here are my #'s.
FC 4.5 PH 7.2 TA 150 CH 400 CYA 30.
I brushed last night and my brush snapped off in the deep end..ugh!
Waking to find the chlorine drop that much over night makes me weary. In 8 days with pump running 24/7 brushing at least once a day...some days brushed 2 or 3 times. Back washed and dumped 12 Gallons 6 last night in. I was hoping to see a little lighter green this morning. Thinking my sand may need to be changed.

Sand generally doesn't need changing. There are those here that have had their sand for 10+ years, and it's still working fine. Do a search here for adding a SMALL amount of DE to your sand filter to increase the filter's ability to get the extremely fine stuff out of the water. Note: the DE will be lost each time you backwash, which you will be doing many many times. DE however is cheap, so won't cost much to do this.

You put in 12 gal of 6% and you only got to 16ppm. My calculations would put that at over 25ppm. In the shocking you must never let the FC drop below shock level. If you have to set an alarm to add more then thats what you need to do.

I'm not surprised that you lost that much FC. It was only your first night after adding the CYA. Keep it at shock level today and I think tonight you won't see as much loss. You should start seeing a marked improvement each day now.

Blue Chip.. No, not all at one time. Since last Monday of opening my pool I have put in 12 gal. I added some stabilizer and 6 gals last night. I just put in 2 more at 7a going out to test again.

I am using " Xtreme pro clear Pool shock" Sodium Hypo 10% It's 4 gallons for 9.95 at Rural King. Not sure of the quality. ???

I guess I read it wrong. If that chlorine is fresh then that sounds like a great price.

Then you are at the very beginning of the shock process. It may take a lot of bleach to get rid of the algae. Have you seen any of the pictures of the empty bottles lined up after successfully beating the algae? It's shocking! Keep it at shock level until you pass all criteria. Reread the "How to shock your pool" section in pool school. You will have a crystal clear pool in the future.

Went on a search to find those pics.. didn't see any..but did find many other people in the boat that I'm in...
Do I need to post in another area.. now that my original question has been asked, because now it will be asking help with algae? Just want to follow protocol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.