Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: how do i wire a 2 speed pump if i bypass timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

how do i wire a 2 speed pump if i bypass timer?

I have a 2 speed Pentair Whisperflo pump and a Intermatic P1353 timer. The timer has gone bad so I want to know if I can just bypass it and hook up directly to the pump. There are 3 wires coming out of the pump. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: how do i wire a 2 speed pump if i bypass timer?

Welcome to TFP!!!

So you want to just have the pump be running 24/7? Are you going to add a switch to select the speed?
    Which pump model do you have?

3 wires is not enough going into the motor to also control the speed, unless you only want to wire it for low speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for such a quick response I could add a switch later but for now I figured I could just turn it on and off with the breaker. i want to just wire it for low speed now. I have 2 hot wires coming from the breaker for my 230 and 3 wires coming from the pump. One high, one low and one common. The pump is a WFDS-6 230 volt 1 1/2 HP

4. Back To Top    #4

There should also be a ground wire running to the motor. And a bond wire on the outside of the motor.

If all you want is low, then connect the 2 Lines from the breaker to the Common and Low wires. The speed selection switch could be done with a basic 3-way light switch.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

It does have a bond wire but I don't see a ground that goes back to the box Could I just add one? And if so, could I hook it up to the same place as the bond wire on the pump?

6. Back To Top    #6

There should be a ground screw in the back of the pump by the other wires. I would certainly suggest you add an insulated ground wire through the conduit. It is not to be connected to the bonding lug.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you very much. I will give that a try

8. Back To Top    #8

my pump turns on but after a few minutes it shuts off. I felt the motor and it is really hot. why would it be doing this?

9. Back To Top    #9

Did you have a problem with the pump before the timer died? How old is the pump?

The motor is overheating for some reason, could be bad power, bad bearings, bad capacitor, bad windings. Verify you have good voltage and then you can check the capacitors (although admittedly I am not sure how).
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

i should tell you that when I hooked the common to one of the hot wires and the low speed to the other hot wire, I got nothing. so the way it is running now and getting hot is Low speed to hot and common to where the neutral wire is connected at the breaker. Also, I did run a ground wire. Any thoughts on my dilemna?

11. Back To Top    #11

That does not make sense if it is a 230v motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I want to try it with a three way light switch. Can you tell me how to wire that. Thanks.

13. Back To Top    #13

Connect 1 Line from the on/off timer to the common screw on the switch. Then the high and low wires from the motor to the other 2 screws on the switch.

The 2nd Line from the timer goes directly to the common in the motor.

Although if it did not work connecting directly to the wires in motor ... adding a switch is sure not going to make troubleshooting any easier.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm giving up on the whisperflo because I picked up another pump and motor. The motor is an AO Smith B835. It is 115/230. Can you tell me the correct wiring for both voltages? Thanks

15. Back To Top    #15

Not off the top of my head ... the label on the side of the motor tells you how to wire both voltages.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Or follow the wiring diagram that came w/ the motor. If you are bypass the timer get a double pole double throw switch
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner