Pool opening. All going well. Chemistry right on but problem

Blue Fin

In The Industry
Feb 1, 2012
East Hampton, NY USA
with vacuuming. I got most of the leaves out of the pool with a bag net and bought one of those caps that go over the strainer basket for the vac hose. It all worked great vacuuming the other day but today the cap just kept popping off.

I had blocked off the other skimmer and shut off the main drain valve. Got kind of frustrating. Should I just pull the strainer basket and plug the vac hose directly into the bottom of the skimmer ? Then clean out the strainer basket in the pump when finished ?

Re: Pool opening. All going well. Chemistry right on but pro

It's odd that it worked one day and not the next. The only explanation that comes to mind is that if your suction has decreased a bit due to your filter needing cleaning, it might affect the cap staying in place. Has your psi gone up appreciably on your pressure gauge? If so maybe you need to backwash. Also, check the strainer basket in the pump. If this is full of stuff it can affect the suction. If neither of those solve the problem, I guess it would be okay to vacuum without the skimmer basket in place. Or, I guess you could vacuum to waste.

Tom

Thanks Tom for your reply. Psi was at 24 so it seems good. Strainer basket in the pump was clean from the previous vacuuming I gave it about 4 days ago. I'll give it a shot again tomorrow without the basket and the cover adaptor.

Feel like a real dope. Problem was I had the hose attached backwards. I had the swivel end on the cover plate in the skimmer. Worked like a charm today. Pool is super clean now. I'm a little bit of a greenhorn but learning quickly. I hope my mistake will help others from making the same in the future. Best to all.

Simple Pool Pro Rocks ! Yeah Baby !!!!

LOL! I made that very same mistake last year....there should be a label on the hose (vac side/suction side) Glad you figured it out.... and Welcome!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.