Am I using too much chlorine?

Sep 2, 2009
Killen, AL
I was talking with a pool owner and I mentioned that my pool "uses" about
4 ppm of chlorine every day and has been consistently at this amount as
long as my CYA level remains ~40-50. He seemed shocked that I use about
one jug (182 oz 6% until the new 121 8.25%)per day, which for what I pay
for bleach ($9.98 for three jugs at Sam's) comes to around $3/day. Does
this amount either in chlorine usage or price seem out of the ordinary?

Thanks

Water looks great. Always has since I went BBB. I never have any CC or have to shock.
Once I get the pH, Alk and CYA adjusted in spring all I do is add bleach and a little acid
from time to time. I add bleach to raise FC level to 8 at night and the next night it's always
at 4.

Hmmm, about the only thing left is to up the CYA to around 50-60.....that'll reduce your consumption but I am not positive it will reduce it enough to justify the expense of the CYA...probably, just don't know.

I have been having a similar issue. I have been using BBB for several years with great results. On average, I would use a full jug of 6% bleach every other day depending on heat, etc. This year, had a new liner installed, got my CYA to 40 and I am still dumping 121oz of the new 8% bleach every day. Today, my FC was 1.2 in the morning (6:45am), I added 2 jugs of 8% bleach which should have raised it to over 7.4. By 2pm, the level was 4.4 (76 degrees and pool is in bright sunshine). CYA still at 40. Other numbers are in range. Used old test strips which were pretty close to my test kit numbers, except CYA which showed low. Wonder if my CYA reagent has exceeded its shelf life. I was going to bump CYA to 50 and see what happens. Any other ideas? ALso, anyone else notice that the liquid stabilizer bottle seems to say it will raise CYA by a greater ppm than the pool calc says?

Thanks for any input!

Gerry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.