Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What size Hayward Super Pump do I need?

1. Back To Top    #1

What size Hayward Super Pump do I need?

I have a 9000 gallon IG, 1 1/2 " piping, 4 discharge eyelets.

I currently have a 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump but I need to replace it and would like to know if I should stay with the same or go down to 1/2 HP or up to 1 HP. I am not sure about the exact length of piping in the ground.

Let me know what other information you would need from me to help me figure this out. Thanks everyone!

2. Back To Top    #2
    You might want to think about getting a two speed 3/4 or 1 HP pump. That will save money by running on low speed and have full speed available if you should happen to need it.

What filter do you have? You don't want to increase the size of the pump unless the filter can handle it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    My filter is a Hayward S-200.

4. Back To Top    #4
    I would stay with 3/4 HP or smaller because of the filter. The S-200 has a 44 GPM design flow rate. The 3/4 HP Super Pump is probably putting out about 30 to 40 GPM, which is reasonable with that filter. However, if you moved up to a 1 HP pump it would probably move 40 to 55 GPM, which might well be too much. (All of this is based on a fair bit of guessing about your plumbing.)

With a slightly larger filter a two speed 1 HP pump would have been a good choice. But with that filter you are better off sticking with the 3/4 HP or going down to 1/2 HP. The 1/2 HP pump will save you money on electricity, but it might not have enough suction to vacuum well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Jason:

Your input is always valuable. I had a concern about a mismatch on my filter (sta-rite T-240BP - 62GPM) to my hayward dual speed 1HP. Sounds like your advise here confirms that mine is matched...

BTW, in case something is completely awry: (IG about 17K Gallons, 2 inlets, 3-90deg elbows, approx 90 feet pipe downstream of filter/pump, 20 feet upstream).

Thanks again for your contributions here.

Brett