Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Who am I going to call?

1. Back To Top    #1

Who am I going to call?

I have a pool leak and haven't been able to detect the source. When I looked at the water level before openning the pool, it was half-way up the skimmer. The leak seemed to have started when I removed the cover.....could I have torn the liner? I've let the leak go below the skimmers, the skimmers held their water, so no leak there. The water level stabalized a couple of inches above the returns, so I plugged all the returns and filled it up again, only to see it drop again. I can't find any wet soil around the pool. Can somebody recommend a company to call to help me out? I'm looking for detection and repair (unless it's the plumbing).

I did call a company and they want 450 for two hours and they say they will do a pressure test and repair any leaks in the liner. Is this the going rate...$225 an hour?

thanks

edit: major edit in response to Bama Rambler....thanks...my question was too vague.
    edit #2: Oops, I'm in the Freehold, NJ area.
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Who am I going to call?

It would probably help to know where you are. It wouldn't do you much good for us to recommend Cool Pool Leak Detectors in McMurdo, Antarctica if you're in ClausLand, North Pole.

American leak detectors have locations in a lot of places.

What all have you tried in order to locate the leak?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

bumping, as I still need help.

thanks
    23K gallon, IG, Vinyl, Hayward DE-3600 Filter, Raypak 406A Heater, Hayward 1.5HP SP2610X15 pump aka AO Smith UST1152, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jrguzmanr

thanks
    We understand and are willing to help. BamaRambler asked you some questions that may help us remedy your problem. Can you post answers to those for us please?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Quote Originally Posted by jrguzmanr

thanks
    We understand and are willing to help. BamaRambler asked you some questions that may help us remedy your problem. Can you post answers to those for us please?
    What question haven't I answered? I edited my post to reflect the responses. did I miss something?

6. Back To Top    #6

Does the level drop if the pump is off?
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

it drops with or without the pump running and stops right above the returns.

8. Back To Top    #8

Previously you said the level dropped to a couple of inches above the returns. Is it dropping to the returns now? Is there anything else in the pool at the level it stops dropping like light niches, etc.?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

9. Back To Top    #9

I was going to say no, there is nothing at the level where it stops but now that I think of it, maybe it's the return by the steps. i will go home tonight and take a look.

10. Back To Top    #10

so the water level stops right at the top of the return in the steps. Should I fill up the pool and plug these two returns and see if it drops? I thought I this did, maybe I should test it again?

11. Back To Top    #11

just thought I'd give a follow-up. I had a company come over ($400 for 2 hours) and they found four leaks, all on the shallow end of the pool. Three were on the side, about three or four inches from the floor, and the fourth was on the floor. It seems that they were caused when some chairs flew in during the hurricane last year. I have done the bucket test for 12 hours and it's holding.

Moral of the story, only because the water levels off a little above the returns, the leaks can be anywhere....even on the floor!