Repairing broken wheel on Polaris 280

itsme_bernie

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2013
New Jersey
I don't know about any of you, but this wheel has broken before.

8uguba8a.jpg

I ordered a new one, which are only about $13.00. But it takes me a few days to get a new one, which are a few days I wouldn't have a vacuum working. Also, I when I have the new one, I will now still have a spare.

I used this product to FUSE, or "weld" the plastic together. It is called "Tenax 7R". Available in hobby stores. (I have NO affiliation with this company. Just good stuff I've used)

Just remove one Phillips head screw to remove the cover, and and two more to remove the wheel.

Then use a Q-tip to lightly coat all the mating surfaces. Don't go crazy, as it will just take a while to "dry". You just want both sides tacky to use HEAVY hand pressure to fuse them back together.

While holding it TIGHTLY together, I rub the joint with the compound to make it look finished, and a complete-through-plastic-weld.

y5e5yse6.jpg

This Tenax 7r will work on any part of that white plastic.

WAIT 8 HOURS...
Ready to re-install!

yze5ume4.jpg

Bernie

harleysilo said:
So how would you compare it's holding properties to say JB Weld? I have to fix a LOT of broken plastic toys for the kids, JB works okay, but eventually fails. Plus side is it dries quick. Thoughts?

I love Epoxies, which work on lots of things- and joining dis-similar materials.

This stuff only works on plastic, and as far as I know, two pieces of the same plastic. It actually disappears- when joined with some pressure, it dissolves and actually becomes one piece of plastic again, like metal weld would. Using JB Weld would be the equivalent of soldering metal :)

I haven't tested it on every plastic, but so far quite a few items. I wish I was better at identifying plastics, or I could list them!

But definitely worth the $3 a bottle I spent- only using a q-tip's worth at a time! And I still see it for $5 a bottle online, right before I rote this. I wanted to make sure it was still sold.

I can try it in a few other things and let you know!

Bernie

I have to add to this thread, that I am a dork.

I am sort of new to this house. I am still finding things here and there that I didn't know About. While cleaning out the shed yesterday, I found an old Polaris Letro (?) Pool vacuum, and it has the same wheels and axles as the Polaris 280!

So now I have four spare axles that Look less likely to break since they look like nylon (?) and are thicker. I believe the new white plastic ones were meant to break off to save something else from breaking if it got jammed in there.

7agara8y.jpg

I was also able to pull a bunch of the stainless steel screws out of it as spares, and put most of the remainder in the recycling bin instead of garbage! :)

Bernie

I use PVC POOL-TITE GLUE - it's that blue glue that you use when you fix your sprinklers or pool plumbing. I let it dry for 24 hours - it goes on good and sticks fast in hot weather. I have two Polaris 180 cleaners being held together with this stuff. It is also very long lasting in the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.