Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spears 1.5" Gate Valve Repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Spears 1.5" Gate Valve Repair

Help, looking to repair several Spears 1.5" Gate Valves. I've been told from my pool guy that you can unscrew the top portion of the valve and repalce the "guts" of the valve. I haven't been able to find a YouTube video. Seems to me that these valves are fairly common ... suprised soemone hasn't made a short video yet.

If anyone can help, I'm looking for a DIY video showing how to take one of these Spears valves apart inplace (without tearing my plumbing to pieces) to repalce the internal gate/top portion of the valve. I'm told it can be tricky aligning the gate with the bottom portion of the valve seat.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    17.3K gal, Vinyl, 1.5 HP Pentair challenger pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 SF DE filter, Hayward 250K BTU Heater, Kreepy Krauly cleaning robot

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Spears 1.5" Gate Valve Repair

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, if you can not find a video ... why don't you make it and post it yourself? I can not imagine that it is hard to unscrew the valve apart ... although personally I have never seen those valves before.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Spears 1.5" Gate Valve Repair

What's wrong with them? What kind of repairs do you think they need?
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.