Ideal Equipment Package for AGP

May 18, 2008
Cedar Hill, Texas
I'm preparing to place an order for (and deposit on) the above-ground pool described in my signature. The pool package includes the following Hayward equipment package:

Power Flo II Pump model SP-1750;
Star-Clear Cartridge Filter Model C-250;
Weighted Vacumn Head Model SP-1068DL including 1 1/2" Vac Hose with Swivel Cuff, and Telescopic Vac Pole; and
SP-1408 Return Fitting with SP-1419-E Directional Flow.

I will be adding an Aquatrol SWG, which obviates the need for a timer.

Having reviewed several threads concerning equipment, I would like to know what would be the ideal equipment set-up (especially, pump and filter size) for this pool, so that I may upgrade the equipment at the time I place the order. I intend to have everything installed with PVC instead of hoses.

I guess what I am really trying to determine is would it be wise to opt for the Power Flo Matrix pump/Xstream cartridge instead of the Power Flo II pump/Star-Clear cartridge and, if so, which combination (size-wise) would be the optimum set up? A sand filter is also an option, but I would prefer the system which offers the best filtration and least amount of maintenance for one human and five canine swimmers. I should add that the vendor offers a choice of sand, filter or D.E. systems. Although I initially thought I would go for a sand system, it may be that backwashing it not allowed in my city; hence, the cartridge filter.

I should also add that the vendor prefers the Clearwater sanitization system (about $900.00) over chlorine. I am going to stick with the Aquatrol SWG, though. Speaking of which, if I am starting out a new pool with an SWG, do I need the entire Taylor Test Kit, or is there a SWG test kit?

I will not complete my purchase until the end of the year due to other financial commitments, but I do plan to place my order and deposit on the pool package within the next week to 10 days. I am also trolling the net for good prices on the Aquatrol unit and a good automatic cleaner so I can offer the vendor a chance to pricematch; otherwise I'll pick up those items from the net while I'm waiting for my pool.

BTW, my third post in this thread gives a more detailed description of the pool.

Any feedback would be most appreciated! Thanks!

With a SWG you want a standard test kit plus AquaChek salt test strips.

As a general rule you want a smaller pump and a larger filter. That pump is reasonably small, but the filter is also small. While that combination is acceptable, I think you will be happier with a larger filter.

Hi, Jason -- thanks for responding. In your opinion, would the Xstream CC-1500 (150 sq. ft. effective filtration area w/ 120 GPM flow rate) be a good choice if I pair it with the Power Flo Matrix SP-1591 3/4 hp pump? Or would the included Power Flo II SP1750 1/2 hp pump paired with the Star-Clear C500 filter be sufficient. If it makes sense to pay extra for the Matrix/Xstream system, I would prefer to do so. I tried to read through the hydraulics info, but I have to admit that I got lost. I'm sure the vendor will sell me the upgraded equipment; however I dont want to overdo it if it's not necessary.

BTW, I will NOT be adding any other peripherals to the pool (solar heat, etc.), other than an automatic cleaner. I've not yet decided what type of cleaner I'll be getting, but I've narrowed it down to a Polaris 65, Pool Rover, Jr. and Barracuda Zoom. I believe that either the Zoom or Polaris will intergrate into the filtering system, so I thought I'd include this information in case it affects pumping/filtration specs.

Thanks.

Thanks, Jason. I am slowly making my way through the many, many informational posts here. Hopefully, by the time I do receive my pool, I will be well-versed in proper maintenance thanks to troublefreepool.com.

Attachments

• Pool 10.JPG
    Pool 10.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Pool 11.JPG
    Pool 11.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 10
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.